Unanswered: Oracle Comparison Tool

Hello,
    Please excuse me if this has been discussed as I can't seem to find a thread.
    I'm working with an Ora 10g DB and need to compare the DB after an upgrade script runs so as to ensure nothing has changed that wasn't suppose to be changed.

Anyone done this type of thing with any tools on the market or know of some really slick Perl Mod out there that I can use?

I can't believe Oracle doesn't have some tool out there to do this, but maybe I just don't know where to look?

Thanks In Advance!

Cool Last_ddl_time

I'm working with an Ora 10g DB and need to compare the DB after an upgrade script runs so as to ensure nothing has changed that wasn't suppose to be changed.
    And how you will you recognize the changes done by the upgrade from other changes made in order to be able to be compared?

What tools are out there mainly record a schema "baseline" and after an upgrade will compare the new schema with this baseline and report the differences, but would not actually be able to distinguish between changes from the upgrade and other changes made outside the upgrade.

These tools mostly rely on some type of version control.

One such product is Oracle "Change Management".

On the other hand, you could query the LAST_DDL_TIME from DBA_OBJECTS view to find out what changed.
    The person who says it can't be done should not interrupt the person doing it. -- Chinese proverb

Quote Originally Posted by LKBrwn_DBA
    And how you will you recognize the changes done by the upgrade from other changes made in order to be able to be compared?
    There will be no transactions occurring while all this is going on. The DB we will be using is a backup of the "real" database in a lab which is isolated.

Essentially, the following would occur:
    1) Take a snapshot of DB, Tables, Constraints, Triggers, etc

2) Apply "upgrade" -- not an Oracle Upgrade but rather some .sql that will add a column, table or something to that affect

3) Take a 2nd snapshot of DB

4) Compare the 2 snapshots

The whole purpose of this test is to verify that the "upgrade" being applied does not break anything.

Am I making sense or is it getting more confusing?

In the mean time I'm going to check out that Oracle Change Management product.

Thanks

Where the Surf Meets the Turf @Del Mar, CA
    Provided Answers: 1
    Oracle does not know or care about your application schemas.
    Oracle's upgrades involves at most 2 schemas; SYS & SYSTEM.
    You might want to stop being less paranoid.
    NOTHING in application schemas will change.
    You can lead some folks to knowledge, but you can not make them think.
    The average person thinks he's above average!
    For most folks, they don't know, what they don't know.
    Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

Quote Originally Posted by anacedent
    You might want to stop being less paranoid.
    So you're saying he should be more paranoid?

TOAD has both a "compare schemas" & a "compare databases" feature. I've never tried the "compare databases", but we use compare schemas to differentiate the differences between DEV & TEST. --=cf

Talking Compare it?

If you have Grid Control installed, use the "Dictionary Comparisons" from Targets> Databases>{db instance}>Administration tab.

Or use SQL Developer (free from Oracle) and select Tools> Database Diff.
    The person who says it can't be done should not interrupt the person doing it. -- Chinese proverb

Thanks for all the advice and laughs ( kendenny ). ;-)

I didn't know Toad has the compare schemas feature I might check it out.

I've never heard of Grid Control? Oracle Product? I'll Goggle it.

In reading documentation from Oracle on the Change Management Pack, discovered that it might be included in the SQL Developer Pack. Got it from one of the Developers here. And yes! It has the Database diff tool.

But it looks like you can only compare 2 "running" databases. ;-(

Anyone ever used that repository feature? Is it the way to take a "snapshot" of the DB objects and then compare a running DB from that?

Thanks Again!

Thanks Again for all the responses on this. I found a tool called DBSolo 3 that looks pretty good. There's a windows and linux version and command line tool to run it from a shell, good for scripting. Straight forward and easy to use. And best of all it's inexpensive! Here's a rundown of the tools I found and tried in order of how I would choose them:

1 DB Solo-- Schema and Data Compare --Win\Linux -- $99
    2 Toad DBA Suite-- Schema and Data --Win --$1,700
    3 Oracle SQL Developer-- Win ---Free but No Data Compare No Reports
    4 DB Diff by DKG-- Schema Compare -- $225 reports too long
    5 EMS --Schema Compare-- $133 -- cant read report outside of tool
    6 DB Difference Expert-- $690 -- buggy

I couldn't get these tools to work. Note Oracle EM. I messed around with this tool for 2-3 days and never got it working. Par for the course with Oracle.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    7 SchemaDiff Free -- Free perl code
    8 Schema Compare for Oracle-- Free
    9 Fast Ora by Charity Ware-- Free
    10 Oracle Enterprise Manager-- PITA