Alpine Califormia

Unanswered: Cant Start Start Reporting Services on SErver 08

I tried starting Reporting Services from the studio management and this is the error message I got, on Windows Server 2008. When I tried reinstalling it I got a message saying there are known compatability issues with this os. So Looks like theres an issue with SQL 2005 and Windows Server 2008. Has anyone else encountered this problem??

TITLE: Connect to Server

Cannot connect to SCAIR-SQL.

Client found response content type of 'text/html; charset=utf-8', but expected 'text/xml'.
    The request failed with the error message:
    SQL Server Reporting Services
    </title><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft SQL Server Reporting Services 9.00.3042.00" />
    <meta name="HTTP Status" content="500" />
    <meta name="ProductLocaleID" content="9" />
    <meta name="CountryLocaleID" content="1033" />
    <meta name="StackTrace" content=" at Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.RSConfigur ation.Load()
    at Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.RSConfigur ation.Construct(String configFileName)
    at Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.RSConfigur ation..ctor(String configFileName, String location)
    at Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.RSConfigur ationManager..ctor(String configFileName, String configLocation)
    at Microsoft.ReportingServices.Library.Global.get_Con figurationManager()
    at Microsoft.ReportingServices.WebServer.Global****nO nlyOnceStartReportServer()
    at Microsoft.ReportingServices.WebServer.Global.Start App()
    at Microsoft.ReportingServices.WebServer.Global.Appli cation_BeginRequest(Object sender, EventArgs e)" />
    BODY {FONT-FAMILY:Verdana; FONT-WEIGHT:normal; FONT-SIZE: 8pt; COLOR:black}
    H1 {FONT-FAMILY:Verdana; FONT-WEIGHT:700; FONT-SIZE:15pt}
    LI {FONT-FAMILY:Verdana; FONT-WEIGHT:normal; FONT-SIZE:8pt; DISPLAY:inline}
    .ProductInfo {FONT-FAMILY:Verdana; FONT-WEIGHT:bold; FONT-SIZE: 8pt; COLOR:gray}
    A:link {FONT-SIZE: 8pt; FONT-FAMILY:Verdana; COLOR:#3366CC; TEXT-DECORATION:none}
    A:hover {FONT-SIZE: 8pt; FONT-FAMILY:Verdana; COLOR:#FF3300; TEXT-DECORATION:underline}
    A:visited {FONT-SIZE: 8pt; FONT-FAMILY:Verdana; COLOR:#3366CC; TEXT-DECORATION:none}
    A:visited:hover {FONT-SIZE: 8pt; FONT-FAMILY:Verdana; color:#FF3300; TEXT-DECORATION:underline}

</head><body bgcolor="white">
    Reporting Services Error<hr width="100%" size="1" color="silver" />
    <li>The report server has encountered a configuration error. See the report server log files for more information. (rsServerConfigurationError) </li><ul>
    <li>Access to the path 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.3\Reporting Services\ReportServer\RSReportServer.config' is denied.</li>
    </ul><hr width="100%" size="1" color="silver" /><span class="ProductInfo">SQL Server Reporting Services</span>
    --. (Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.RSClient)

Last edited by desireemm; 05-12-09 at 12:21.

ooooo anytime I have set up reporting services in anything but the simplest environment, there is always an issue and reinstalling is almost never the right answer.

What version are you running. In 2000, reporting services had a problem uninstalling itself and there were manual cleanup steps that I forget that had to be taken.

What did you do in terms of troubleshooting before reinstall? did you restart the services?

Alpine Califormia
    hI Thrasy, no I didnt actually go throught with the reinstalling. its just when I attempted to I got that message. Its on all test not production. Server just got set up and we have some issues to work out before it goes live.

Well Desi, I know the product has had problem with reinstalling before. I do not know if they cleaned those up in what ever version you are working on. The uninstall left some garbage in the registry and the databases that RS uses were not removed. Before reinstalling I would definitly uninstall. Make sure there was no garbage left behind / Google "reinstall sql server reporting services" and I am sure you well encounter tales of woe and how to aleve them.

I don't have experience with SSRS 2008, but I've gotten that same error on SSRS 2005 when I mucked with the IIS security settings (as in enabled anonymous access to the SSRS virtual directories as part of setting up Forms based authentication).

Can you access SSRS from the Web console?

Provided Answers: 11
    What is at this path? is it the config file?

'C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.3\Reporting Services\ReportServer\RSReportServer.config

Any special permissions on the file?