Unanswered: problem with compare query

Hi everybody

have this query that seems not working. it gives me results which to me isn't right.. The situation is this I have two tables to compare using the name field as the criteria.. the query should be Give me the names of people from pofficials where it does not exist on the member table.. With the query below it gives me one or two records that is present on pofficials and member.... I used the like clause because to get all the occurences of the name that begins with the subquery.

select p.name
    from pofficials p
    where not exists
    (select name from member
    where p.name like m.name+ '%'
    )
    order by name

thanks
    Last edited by alexiop; 05-14-09 at 14:20.

I don't understand why you have used LIKE.
    Code:
    where p.name = m.name
    If you add that then your code is correct based on what you describe. I am guessing this is not correct though, which means you are not telling us something.
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.

Quote Originally Posted by pootle flump
    I don't understand why you have used LIKE.
    Code:
    where p.name = m.name
    If you add that then your code is correct based on what you describe. I am guessing this is not correct though, which means you are not telling us something.

Hi ..
    I used the like just to get the occurences and not the exact equal p.name against m.name.. Analyzing though on the results of my query.. I've noticed that the twor records that appear on both have really a difference which is the accents.. one name has an accent and the other has none and vice versa.. that's why it is appearing. in conclusion the query is correct..

thanks for your analysis.. I just couldn't figure out yesterday..what the difference is...

You can chose to ignore accents in your comparisons, or you can return results where they must match.
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.