Unanswered: example publishing database download

Is the example publishing database available publicly anywhere (on the net) with bcp files and preferably create table scripts.

Cheers

Mike

Bit of a late reply...but here goes for the benefit of others anyway.

The sample pubs or rather pubs2 & pubs3 database contents is scripted and installed with every ASE installation.
    It's located in the "scripts" folder underneath the main ASE folder, $SYBASE_ASE, i.e ASE-12_5 or ASE-15_0 depending on your version e.g. /opt/sybase/ASE-15_0/scripts

The files are usually called installpubs2 and installpubs3 for Unix / Linux or instpbs2 and instpbs3 for Windows.

pubs3 is slightly different from pubs2, as documented in the header of the script itself - Some data cleanup, no au_pix table, one new table and some of the other tables and columns renamed to reflect more politically correct naming conventions.

If you attended or plan to attend the Sybase ASE "Performance & Tuning - Configuring ASE" course, the material includes an altered version of the pubs database with a lot more meat to it - much more data added than the standard version, but also some indexes missing for the benefit of the training.

Sadly I don't have access to a Sybase server at present. Is the DDL (and insert statements) available on the internet? or, if it's not large, could you PM it to me? I just wanted to use a well known database in a little tool I have that displays complete databases on the web.

Translating a Sybase database into a MySQL database shows up a number of small differences between the two systems even though I only had to deal with creating tables and various insert statements. I thought it might be worthwhile to list what I found:
    • No user types in MySQL
    • Sybase FK using references command not available
    • Defining Indexes is quite different in both systems
    • Money values (ie $100.00) need translating into normal numbers
    • Quoting in Sybase is """ while in MySQL it's "\""
    • Sybase allows new lines in strings while MySQL doesn't
    • Sybase can group multiple statements together with a go at the end while MySQL wants a ; at the end of each line.
    • Date formats are different

Anyway it all worked fine in the end so, if anyone is interested, here's the Pubs database in MySQL available on the web using my little database display tool.

Mike