Unanswered: Count grouped fields in multiple tables

Hi Everyone,

I have two tables which both have date columns. What I want is one single query that will return the counts of the number of records in each table for each week. I can do this for one table with this

SELECT to_char(date_trunc('week', t.datestamp), 'YYYY-MM-DD') as "week", count(t.*) as "Surveys"
    FROM table1 t
    GROUP BY "week"
    ORDER BY "week"

How can I add on the count for the grouped weeks (which will be different dates and some weeks may have zero records) in table 2?

Thanks,

Colin

You could pull the two tables together using a UNION so they look as one table, then use the same SQL syntax. That's assuming you want counts on them both as one table, I may have read your post wrong.

Cheers, Kevin.

I need the counts to be separate columns in the result set rather than one

something like

week1 table1count, table2count
    week2 table1count, table2count

I guess I'm trying left outer join table1 on table2 using the grouped by date column. Which doesnt seem to be possible. If UNION will append the rows of table 1to the bottom of table 1 and count them together, i need something that will give one count of the rows for each week in table1 and one count of the rows for each week in table 2.

seems like it should be possible, i actually have 5 tables i ultimately want counts of rows by week, month etc for.

Colin

Hi, you could probably do a select count on all the tables and then do a union. i.e. something like

select count(1) as a, 0 as b, 0 as c from x
    union
    select 0 as a, count(1) as b, 0 as c from y
    untion
    select 0 as a, 0 as b, count(1) as c from z

and then do a query around it.... something like

select max(a) as a, max(b) as b, max(c) as c aroiund that query

HTH

Kevin.

Make a new table for each table with your original query,
    then put them together with some join. I'm thinking that's pretty much the only way of doing it if you want a column per table.
    Something like (Q1 is your original query on first table)
    SELECT q1.ts,q1.count,q2.count, ...
    FROM (Q1 as q1) INNER JOIN (Q2 as q2) ON q1.ts = q2.ts
    ORDER BY q1.ts (probably not needed as you already order them in Q)
    Also, the inner join should be replaced if it's possible for a table to not hold a value for a certain week.