Unanswered: Using mmm-yy as primary key

Hello everyone,

I want to create a set of tables that will hold fairly simple monthly HR data. There will be tables for different directorates/data type within the organisation.

Is it possible to reliably use the month/year as the the primary key (in format 'May-09')? This will allow queries to be run across different tables in order to make comparisons between directorates, time periods, etc.

When I initially attempted to do this, Access wouldn't retain an entered month from the past, i.e. it replaced it with the current date.

Many thanks.

Yes, using that as part of the PK (probably first column - depends on queries) is fine. Is this a datetime column that you've set the format for, or is it text?
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.

Still at the planning stage, so nothing set in stone yet. To run queries based on the monthly data, it should be formated as date/time (month/year)?

Access has some "helpful" stuff that muddies the water.
    Can I just confirm - the column is date\time datatype? And you have set the format to month\year, correct?
    What sort of queries will you run? Just for a specific month? Or comparing matching months year on year? Or comparing this month with last? (and so on)
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump

At the moment I am thinking of date/time column in month/year format. Queries maybe an average over a period of time, ie mre than one month, or various comparisons.

Thanks.

In my humble oppinion I would't dare to use anything different from Long Int as primary key.

I would never, ever use a date as a PK. That is my dos centos.

Holy sh*t.
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump