Unanswered: SQL Server 08 Onto Server 08

This is probably a dumb question but here goes.

HI all I was wondering about installing SQL 08 onto Windows Server 08. When I tried to install SQL 2008 Express version it gave me an error message about the firewall and the Domain controller. Now it finished installing but Reporting Services was not included? Has anyone else had this problem??

Provided Answers: 54
    When you install SQL 2008, it checks for a lot of things related to security and configuration that SQL never checked in previous versions.

The warning about the firewall is just telling you that in a securely configured environment you need to remember to open the firewall to allow other machines to reach your SQL Server... In your client's configuration, that shouldn't be an issue if they use the RDP solution or if all three locations are using a single Windows Workgroup configuration and a single class C IP range (which I'm fairly sure that they are).

The warning about the Domain Controller only applies in Active Directory. Since your client is using Windows Workgroups instead of AD, this warning doesn't apply to their installation.

SQL Express 2008 doesn't install Reporting Services by default. You need to choose to install Reporting Services. I'm not very familiar with the SQL Express installation (I've done exactly one install of it), but I'm pretty sure that you can simply re-run it to install additional services like Reporting Services.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Phelan
    When you install SQL 2008, it checks for a lot of things related to security and configuration that SQL never checked in previous versions.

The warning about the firewall is just telling you that in a securely configured environment you need to remember to open the firewall to allow other machines to reach your SQL Server... In your client's configuration, that shouldn't be an issue if they use the RDP solution or if all three locations are using a single Windows Workgroup configuration and a single class C IP range (which I'm fairly sure that they are).

The warning about the Domain Controller only applies in Active Directory. Since your client is using Windows Workgroups instead of AD, this warning doesn't apply to their installation.

SQL Express 2008 doesn't install Reporting Services by default. You need to choose to install Reporting Services. I'm not very familiar with the SQL Express installation (I've done exactly one install of it), but I'm pretty sure that you can simply re-run it to install additional services like Reporting Services.

-PatP
    you know it didnt give me the option to choose Reporting Services though...I looked for it but it didnt give me that option..hmmm.
    Ahh Ok that helps allot, see we are waiting for our Software SQL Server 2008 and Windows Server 2008 from CDW and I just wanted to do some testing.

IS Internet Information services(IIS) turned on?