Question newbie (how to start a career in db)

Hi
    Im new in this forum , i really need help of how to start a career in db , I search few schools and there is a community college here( I live in Orange County, Ca) that offer two certificates one is in database applications and the other one is entrepise database.I really wanna take the entrepise certificate because I can learn SQL and Intro to Oracle and I know those two database languages are the most widely used .Then after finish with my certificate should i go for a bachelor?? and what kind of bachelor??also what computer language should i learn?? Finally, Im 43 years old is too late to strart a new career and how are my chances to get a job due my age??

Thank you very much

For SQL and logical database design you can largely teach yourself (using books) as the basics arenít that hard.

As for a specific product certification, I am thinking about doing Microsoft SQL Server before delving into Oracle, as Oracle tends to be used in larger operations where there arenít that many junior opportunities. Once again though I think learning through books and teaching yourself is and affordable and doable option. Also consider learning a programming language for the front end i.e. how the user interacts with the database.

Unfortunately there arenít that many job opportunities for the inexperienced in IT at the moment. I suppose though, that given your age (not that Iím saying your old or anything), you have probably picked up various soft skills like: communication and an understanding of business practices. Lots of employers like their employees to have good 'people skills'. Also you didnít really elaborate on any previous work experience; any IT background is always helpful like tech support for instance.

I am also trying to get into junior database development, so Iím probably not the most knowledgeable person here. Hopefully some more Ďexperiencedí people will help us both with this problem.

Quote Originally Posted by erick66
    Hi
    Im new in this forum , i really need help of how to start a career in db , I search few schools and there is a community college here( I live in Orange County, Ca) that offer two certificates one is in database applications and the other one is entrepise database.I really wanna take the entrepise certificate because I can learn SQL and Intro to Oracle and I know those two database languages are the most widely used .Then after finish with my certificate should i go for a bachelor?? and what kind of bachelor??also what computer language should i learn?? Finally, Im 43 years old is too late to strart a new career and how are my chances to get a job due my age??
    Thank you very much
    I think those certifications would be a good start... also might consider learning about Access and DB2 or open source MySQL. Most introductory database books mention those.

As for languages, SQL, of course... which is used in all the above mentioned RDBMSs, albeit with some variation. If you're new to programming, maybe Visual Basic for business applications, which is relatively easy to learn. Later on, might want to pick up something like Java or C++. There's also UML, which isn't a "language" per se, but it is used for modeling.

For a Bachelor's, a few you might consider are computer information systems (CIS) or management information systems (MIS).

Lastly, I don't think you're too old... just find a way to use your age and experience to your advantage. It seems like it might be kind of difficult, in any case, for someone new in the field to get a job at one of the major companies... either they're not hiring or there's some stiff competition.

I think there are a lot of smaller companies out there, however, that have issues with their DBs, and it might be worth the effort to try marketing yourself in that area to gain some experience. If you've got experience in a particular field already, then you can try helping companies in that field set up or maintain their DB. Figure out a way to integrate what you're learning with what you already know.

First of all, 43 years old means that you have enough life experience to be able to handle a lot of the business issues behind the technology problems. This is rare... There aren't enough geeks in the world, but geeks can't deal with the business issues that drive many of the problems that those geeks are asked to solve. Your age is a major selling point, not a problem.

Orange County is a good place to be when starting in the database field. San Bernadino actually has a great community college program and Diamond Bar has a number of entrepreneural businesses that need people like you.

SQL is the "lingua franca" of database tools today. It is the tool that you must know to be able to work effectively.

Oracle is a dialect of SQL that is used almost exclusively by large entities like government and large business.

I'd recommend that you get some exposure to the field before you worry about where you want to focus your efforts or what products you want to use to do that... You're getting a bit too far down the pike!

Jump in, and enjoy. There's lots and lots of opportunity!

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.