Unanswered: Migrating v8.1 to 9.5

I performed following steps:
    1.Take backup of all databases on db2 v8.1.7 .
    2.Uninstall v8.1.7
    3.Install v9.5
    4.Restore the databases.

but after restoring I get the error SQL2519N The database was restored but the restored database was not migrated to the current release. Error "-1224" with tokens "*N" is returned.
    So then I issued the migrate database command. But after this I get the follwoing error:
    SQL1224N The database manager is not able to accept new requests, has
    terminated all requests in progress, or has terminated your particular request
    due to an error or, a force interrupt. SQLSTATE=55032

and the db manager stops immediately.

Most surprising to me is out of 6 databases I restored 5 of them give the above error. But one of the databases is restored succesfully as well as migrated during restore.

Can someone tell me whats the problem..and how can I resolve this.

chk what db2diag and notification logs says
    Rahul Singh
    Certified DB2 9 DBA / Application Developer

I don't think you need to restore DBs, just migrate them to new version.
    did you migrate instance(s): db2imigr ?
    DB2 9.5/9.7 on Unix/AIX 6.1/Linux

-1224 indicates an instance crash. There are some known APARs, but you can't tell which one (if any) you're running into based on the information you posted. One of the APARs is JR32096:
    IBM Search results - United States

One way to check if you're running into this APAR is to execute the following against your source (v8) db:

db2 "select * from sysibm.sysversions"

If the AUTHID is more than 8-char, then this is your APAR.

The fix should be in fp4 (I think it was released yesterday)

If you can't upgrade to fp4 for some reason or the problem persists after the upgrade, please consider opening a pmr.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkhamDBA
    I don't think you need to restore DBs, just migrate them to new version.
    did you migrate instance(s): db2imigr ?
    No I haven't used this command db2imigr. As mentioned I restored the database and then used the migrate command.
    But for one of the databases I restored ...it was successful restore I did not had to use migrate command.

I have taken backup of all the databases on v8.1 and uinstalled that so how can I migrate instances now?

Install fp4 and then try to restore your dbs again.

You can find v9.5 fixpaks here:
    IBM - DB2 Version 9.5 fix packs and clients

Quote Originally Posted by mka12
    No I haven't used this command db2imigr. As mentioned I restored the database and then used the migrate command.
    But for one of the databases I restored ...it was successful restore I did not had to use migrate command.

I have taken backup of all the databases on v8.1 and uinstalled that so how can I migrate instances now?
    the way you do it you don't need to remove databases. Take off-line DB(s) backup(s), install new DB2 version with fixpacks, migrate instance, migrate DB(s).

Different way (that's the way we did it too): Take off-line backup of DB(s), save all dbm and db cfg settings and registry vars, install new DB2 version with fixpacks, create instance(s) in new DB2 version, restore DB(s) in new DB2 version (it will migrate DB at the end of restore (you will see a message). No need to issue migrate command), verify dbm and db cfg settings (db settings should be restored from backup, but dbm cfg setting need to be changed), verify/change registry vars, do runstats on SYSIBM tables.
    Last edited by MarkhamDBA; 05-28-09 at 09:47.
    DB2 9.5/9.7 on Unix/AIX 6.1/Linux