Unanswered: Deleting Fields from a table

Hi

I am having a really bad week here and I cannot even do the simplest of things. I am trying to delete some records from a table.

My query in sql is this:

DELETE [(SE)_tbl_Exchange_Rates].Month, [(SE)_tbl_Exchange_Rates].CODE, [(SE)_tbl_Exchange_Rates].COUNTRY, [(SE)_tbl_Exchange_Rates].RATE
    FROM [(SE)_tbl_Exchange_Rates] INNER JOIN [Holding Table] ON ([(SE)_tbl_Exchange_Rates].Month = [Holding Table].Month) AND ([(SE)_tbl_Exchange_Rates].CODE = [Holding Table].CODE);

Basically I am saying delete record from table "exchange rates" if there is an identical record already in the Holding table. A record is considered identical if the month and the code are the same.

When I run the query I get the following error message:"specify the table containing the records you want to delete.

Help! this is driving me crazy!

Sounds like you are confusing fields and records, more properly known as columns and rows. You use DML queries to delete rows, you use DDL instructions to drop columns. Here, you are using DML to delete rows. As such, you don't specify column names.

Code:
    DELETE [(SE)_tbl_Exchange_Rates].*
    FROM [(SE)_tbl_Exchange_Rates] INNER JOIN [Holding Table] ON ([(SE)_tbl_Exchange_Rates].Month = [Holding Table].Month) AND ([(SE)_tbl_Exchange_Rates].CODE = [Holding Table].CODE);
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.

You are right - I confused records and fields in my heading. I obviously mean records i.e. rows of data I want to delete and not columns. I have tried the code you supplied previously but I get the following error message:Could not delete from specified table

The table is not open and it is not read only.....

what is going on.....

try:
    Code:
    DELETE *
    FROM [(SE)_tbl_Exchange_Rates]
    WHERE EXISTS (SELECT NULL FROM [Holding Table] WHERE [(SE)_tbl_Exchange_Rates].[Month] = [Holding Table].[Month] AND [(SE)_tbl_Exchange_Rates].[code ] = [Holding Table].[code ])
    NOTE - I have had to add a space in [table name].[code ] as code is a reserved word here.
    Probably a reserved word in Access too. Month certainly is...
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.