Unanswered: Newbie here with a short question

Howdy!

Been a long time since I've fired up Access. Hoping you can help me brush off the dust a bit.

I would like to make a file listing every item I have in my home pertaining to camping. For catagories, I camp by myself, with my son, with my son and his kids, with family (other than with my son and his kids,) and with friends. Those are the catagories I need to keep seperate. Some items I take only with family (horseshoes), some items I take only with myself (hammock), some items (sleeping bag) goes with everyone I camp with. So, I am guessing that I would need to have the sleeping bag listed under each catagory and the horseshoes listed under just the family catagory. I guess further, that when an item can be used in different catagories, it needs to be in Access as it's own record. That way (guessing again) if I am going camping by myself, I can filter out things like the horseshoes (which would be under Family)and thereby generate a gear list suitable for my particular "adventure."

Seems like several items will be entered several times under different catagories. Is this how it's done?

Thanks for listening (like you had a choice in the matter when you clicked this thread) and thanks for your advice (which you have all the power of choice.)

Respectfully,

Michael

I see Three tables. One lists all of your camping stuff and has an AutoNumber PrimaryKey field. One lists all of the different categories you want to have: self, family etc. , again with an AutoNumber PrimaryKey. The third table is just two ForeignKey fields that tie equipment with a category and another AutoNumber PrimaryKey. There will be several entries for the sleeping bag but maybe only one entry for the Horse Shoes. The PrimaryKey in this table is so you can pick your method of deleting a record if you need to.
    RuralGuy (RG for short) aka Allan Bunch MS Access MVP - acXP, ac07, ac10 - WinXP Pro, Win7 Pro
    Please reply to this forum so all may learn.

Oh, I see. Different tables. Never thought of that. Never even thought about guessing about that.

I appreciate the speedy reply to a newbie. Looks like a great forum.

Thanks. I will give it a whirl.

Glad I could help. Study up on Normalization.
    RuralGuy (RG for short) aka Allan Bunch MS Access MVP - acXP, ac07, ac10 - WinXP Pro, Win7 Pro
    Please reply to this forum so all may learn.