wanting to create a memory db

Hey all, I'm Jodaan. I'm not new to db's but I'm definitely no expert. I'm wanting to create a db with a forum to input and search info...I want to create a large db with all my memories. Sounds odd, but I'd like it to be a searchable digital version of my brain Password protected and with different user levels if possible. How would I go about this? Software recommendations? As I said, I'm no expert, but I do learn fast.

Thanks!

Braindump! Cramdump!

Divide brain by area much like a car - left front, right rear,or by function boot, engine, dashboard etc.

Add an intelliGENT (fast learning) algorithm to remember queries and you are done.

Oh dont forget to add cross links, a glossary and a FAQ for the casual browser.

End
    End

annnnd you lost me.

Quote Originally Posted by jodaan
    I want to create a large db with all my memories
    The standard way of doing this is to take thousands of very thin slices of your brain. Each slice needs to be polished and digitally analysed to obtain the "wiring pattern" that links your various memories together. Using this technique you can obtain a second brain that functions at least as well as the original brain does - or at least as well as it does post op.

Another slightly more radical solution suddenly occured to me - simply just get married! My wife can remember everything I've ever done, even the things I didn't think she knew about, and sometimes in embarrassing detail. This is obviously an expensive solution to a straightforward problem.

lol mike. know how that goes. so am i looking at one huge db or many small ones linked by queries? is this something that can be handled simply through MS Access or do I need to go with MySQL or similar?

Definately just the one database, you can have many tables though - one for each entity that you identify

Your requirements are vague to say the least - start thinking about the types of information you're going to want to store first...
    George
    Home | Blog

OK I feel guilty now. Here are a few existing memory databases:

Neither of the above sites do 100% of what you're after but it might be a good idea to look at or read the above and then say more specifically what you're after and perhaps why others might want to use such a system. Obviously you could create a system reasonably easily but you haven't said what IT skills you have.

Mike
    Last edited by mike_bike_kite; 06-02-09 at 16:52.

thats basically what i'm after. as for my IT skills, i'm very familiar with web design and i'm ok with MySQL stuff. I guess i'm fairly new to this as far as IT skills go. I'm very comfortable with computers (build all my own) and I learn computer stuff quickly and with ease.
    Those db's are about what I need...but I want childhood memories, places i've lived, people i've known, foods i've tried, things i've seen, every memory possible i want in a db. I'd like a form or at least a query box where someone can sit down and "ask" it something and pull up the memory

Here is a quick thought for you on this. Maybe create a table for each type of memory you want. Like you said foods. Maybe do a table called foods, give it a just a random key called ID and then maybe columns called type of food, food name, etc... Those can all be string values. Then you could code the boxes on the forms to pull data from specific tables.

I guess you could also just create one HUGE table with a TON of columns. That might get kinda sloppy though.

Those are my thoughts at least. I'm anal retentive about table organization though.

Those db's are about what I need...but I want childhood memories, places i've lived, people i've known, foods i've tried, things i've seen, every memory possible i want in a db. I'd like a form or at least a query box where someone can sit down and "ask" it something and pull up the memory
    Why not start by imagining the forms on paper first. Record all the things you want to store info about - users (I assume you want other people using it), memories, types of memories, tags (might be a good idea). Then think about what fields are useful for each of those entities. List all that stuff down and we can talk about a database design - I don't think it will take long.

i'm very familiar with web design
    Anything interesting we can look at?

Quote Originally Posted by JamiBenson1979
    Here is a quick thought for you on this. Maybe create a table for each type of memory you want. Like you said foods. Maybe do a table called foods, give it a just a random key called ID and then maybe columns called type of food, food name, etc... Those can all be string values. Then you could code the boxes on the forms to pull data from specific tables.

I guess you could also just create one HUGE table with a TON of columns. That might get kinda sloppy though.

Those are my thoughts at least. I'm anal retentive about table organization though.

Spotted these 2 sites which might also help:

Don't think any of them are as good as such a site could be though - shame.