Unanswered: "Submit Changes" type button.

Hello,
    I am currently working on a database to track employees for a company. I am trying to make a form which allows the user to add a new employee. The form does work, but not in the way I want. Currently, the form automatically creates a new row in the table the instant you type any value in for the Employee Number (see attached photo). I would like for the form to wait until the user presses the Add Employee button to insert the row or, if they press cancel, throw out the information. Any help would be great, thanks.

~C
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails AddEmployee.bmp  

My guess from the picture is that you have the form bound to the employee table. Try using an unbound form and use an SQL insert statement behind your Add Employee button.

C

Awesome! That worked perfectly, thanks!

Next problem...

Now I need to check to see if the Employee number is already in use (i.e. compare it with the table). Any ideas?

~C

I'm thinking Employee Number should be your primary key in the table (No dups allowed). You can then put in: on error goto XXXXX code before your SQL statement that adds the new record. XXXX: would be at the end of the routine which does nothing except closes the recordset (if need be.) along with a message box saying the record could not be duplicated. It would go to the XXXX: label when it errors while trying to update a duplicate Employee Number.

Otherwise,
    You could also use the dlookup command to see if the Employee Number is already used before the sql statement.

If dlookup("[EmployeeNumber]","myTable", "[EmployeeNumber] = " & me!EmployeeNumber & "") <> "" then
    msgbox "Number already in the table."

or
    If dlookup("[EmployeeNumber]","myTable", "[EmployeeNumber] = " & me!EmployeeNumber & "") <> Null then

or
    You can write code to open a recordset with criteria EmployeeNumber = " & me!EmployeeNumber & "" and see if any records exist in the recordset.
    Last edited by pkstormy; 06-03-09 at 00:54.
    Expert Database Programming
    MSAccess since 1.0, SQL Server since 6.5, Visual Basic (5.0, 6.0)

Perfect! Thanks!