Lightbulb Unanswered: I use excel spreadsheets with about 15 fields

I want to build a data extractor that will automatically read the fields in any excel form and then move them to which fields I want to use as sorting fields. Are their existinfg programs that can do that?

Provided Answers: 59
    no but you can write code or macros that run in Excel to do that for you. however most practioners on this site would tend to suggest you store data in a database and if you wish manipulate it in a spreadsheet.

so I suppose the question is do you want this question moved to the Excel or the Access forums?
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

You can also use an external VB application to perform the manipulation, using either automation, or ADO to connect to the spreadsheet as if it were a database table... (with limitations)

However, I do echo healdem's remarks regarding the use of a database... Ref the online article: Spreadsheet vs. Database - Which One Offers The Best View Of Your Data?
    Last edited by loquin; 06-04-09 at 13:23.
    Lou
    使大吃一惊
    "Lisa, in this house, we obey the laws of thermodynamics!" - Homer Simpson
    "I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them!" - Bette Middler
    "It's a book about a Spanish guy named Manual. You should read it." - Dilbert

Echoing the echo(s).

Databases are for storing, organising, securing, retrieving data. They also manage the updating, in particular ensuring logical constraints are respected.

Spreadsheets are for manipulating, analysing, interrogating, reporting on the data.
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.