Unanswered: How to uninstall Full Text Search SQL 2000

Hi,
    I am trying to upgrade SQL 2000 (SP4) to SQL 2008 (Operating system is WIndows 2003 SP2). When I do, I get a failure in the upgrade advisor due to full text search (please see the attached screen dump) and the upgrade fails.
    When I initially installed SQL 2000, I just chose all the defaults, of which Full text search is one. I don't actually use the full text search on my databases.
    I have tried performing the upgrade on a development server after doing an install of SQL 2000 without the full text search. The upgrade works perfectly.
    What I would like to do is uninstall the Full text search on the production server before retrying the upgrade, but I have not been able to locate any documentation that describes how to do this.
    Can anyone help?
    Thanks
    Rob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1.gif  
    Last edited by RobDanaflex; 06-02-09 at 20:47.

You will have to go to Add/remove programs and uninstall the feature from SQL Server 2000.

Uninstall doesn't remove Full Text Search

Hi Mohammed,
    Many thanks for your reply. Add remove programs only gives you the option of uninstalling the entire SQL 2000 program. What I did try was doing a re-install. This does allow you to add components but even though you can "un-tick" Full Text Search, it doesn't actually remove it. I think that the "add component" function only allows for adding not removing.
    Regards
    Rob

You remove the following from the registry but make sure you backup the registry before changing it...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\MSSCNTRS
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\MSSEARCH
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\MSSGATHERER
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\MSSGTHRSVC
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\MSSINDEX
    MohammedU
    SQL Server MVP