Unanswered: What's the Best Approach?

What's the best approach for creating a "dashboard" type report. I don't want the end-user to modify any records, I just want them to select a couple of attributes in a couple of combo boxes, to see some resulting data. The resulting data may be based on "Select" queries, or perhaps based on Calculation queries.

For example, I've simplified my data for illustrative purposes. Consider the following data (see "relationships.GIF" attached).

I'm trying to design a dashboard where the USER would...
    1. Select the Country from a dropdown of available countries. Based on that country selection, only the applicable campaigns (cascaded query?) would be available in the CAMPAIGN dropdown
    2. Select the CAMPAIGN from a dropdown

Based on those TWO user actions, a variety of reports would display (see "dashboard.GIF" attached).

So what is the best way to build something like this? I'd appreciate any keywords that may point me in the right direction. Do I start with "Form"? A "Report"? Or is this something else?

Finally, I need this dashboard to be accessible on it's own. The person I'm giving this to does not want to have to open Access - so it would be great if this dashboard could be exported (e.g. Report Snapshot?). Does that sound feasible?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails relationships.GIF   dashboard.GIF  

Provided Answers: 59
    create the interface using forms
    for users not allowed to change data make the forms readonly, or have a spearate forms for those purposes
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Quote Originally Posted by p_1800
    Finally, I need this dashboard to be accessible on it's own. The person I'm giving this to does not want to have to open Access
    In that case building it in Access does not meet your criteria.
    This person realises they have to open "something" right? Why not Access?
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.

Quote Originally Posted by healdem
    create the interface using forms
    for users not allowed to change data make the forms readonly, or have a spearate forms for those purposes
    Great! So I start with a "read-only" form. Will this also solve the following problems - or are these related to another setting?
    • Whenever I create a form, and go to "view form", it is creating multiple sheets (one for each record) that I can navigate through. I only want it to create one sheet (e.g. no "next record" buttons at bottom of form).
    • Whenever I set a field as a combobox and go to "view form", I can't open teh combobox and see the dropdown, but when I try to select a different value from the combobox, it doesn't let me. I need the comboboxes to drive the results of the other fields on the form.

Quote Originally Posted by pootle flump
    In that case building it in Access does not meet your criteria.
    This person realises they have to open "something" right? Why not Access?
    They get scared with the thought of access. Is there a way to created a "form" only - so when they open the form they don't see all the other tables/queries/etc that are part of the access file? I guess I don't mind them opening Access as long as when they open it it's clear that there's only two things to do:
    1. Select Country/Campaign from combo boxes
    2. View (or print) dashboard results

Is another option to try to create this dashboard in Excel by connecting the data - or is that something I should get out of my head immediately?

Quote Originally Posted by p_1800
    They get scared with the thought of access. Is there a way to created a "form" only - so when they open the form they don't see all the other tables/queries/etc that are part of the access file? I guess I don't mind them opening Access as long as when they open it it's clear that there's only two things to do:
    1. Select Country/Campaign from combo boxes
    2. View (or print) dashboard results
    Very easy. I think PKStormy has a really simple example of how to do that in the CodeBank (thread at the top of this forum).
    Last edited by pootle flump; 06-03-09 at 12:17.
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.