Thread: Help

Unanswered: Help

Hi, I'm really sorry for being a bit dense when it comes to this.

Basically we have a form that needs to be stored in database form wiuth some additional fields. If I was to put it in one tabe there would be way over 250 fields so it wouldn't work. So I have split the fields in to groups of similar data. There is no duplicate data in any of the fields. The Parent table is the Org details table, there are then a number of tables that need to be linked including financial info, reference etc. Each table can only be linked to one record in the parent table and each record can only have one record from any of the other tables linked to it.

Firstly am I right in assuming that this is a one to one relationship?

If it is this is where I am stuck I have only ever set up one to many relationships in the past and I don't really know what I am doing with one to ones. I have set it up in the relationship screen, but when I enter data it is not linking the records together. Again I'm really sorry if this is a stupid question.....

Many thanks

Provided Answers: 59
    use a sub form for the 'other' table/s
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

So if I use a sub form do I still need to make the relationships between the tables. I did try this a little earlier but when I tried to run a query to get information from both tables no information was returned. When I looked in the tables the org ref (Parent Table) was not included in the basic details table.

Provided Answers: 59
    you have 250+ columns
    you have split them into two tables with a one to one realtionship
    when you create data for the "other" / child table then you need to know the primary key of the first table

in Access speak that design philosophy requires something like a sub form.

you don't have to define relationships is SQL, but if you dont' want to define relationships then frankly I dont' see a lot of point in using a relational database.

you can use the sub from design approach and not use relationships, you need to explcitly tell the form designer at the time of creation what column is common to both forms. effectively you are defining a relationship at from level. if you define a relationship between the tables then you can skip the relationship at form design time. in essence there is no way you can avoid creating / defining the relationship between these two entities.

as usuall in the systems world there are lots of ways of achieving the same goal, some are more long winded, some don't work. personally in a relational db engine I like to use relationships. that may be a s colleague points out I'm pretty lazy (I like leaving trivial minor details to the form,report and query designers such as the relationship between A & B). I don't go in for th ehari shirt of having to define the relationship in each and every query. I even like the mundaneness of the query designer suggesting me how tables are interelated when I 'plonk' the tabels in the query designer.
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton