Lightbulb Unanswered: SQL Server vs ASPX

I have a database that I need to share across a WAN. Putting it on a central server and letting others access it is slow and puts a strain on our poor slow network. The IT department suggested hosting it as an ASPX page (not sure how involved this will be) and I was wondering if it would help to use SQL Server? I am wanting to host the tables on the SQL Server and than have stand alone databases at each WAN location with linked tables to the SQL Server.

I appreciate anyone's comments on which idea will work better and more efficient.
    You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later

Provided Answers: 59
    before moving the app to ASP I'd want to check why it was runnign slow
    are you using unbound recordsets and controls
    has the app been designed for a server backend as opposed to JET (IE the default db engine for Access
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

The databases are all created using JET, as I haven't really changed anything. The concern from IT was that we have a really poor network to begin with, and running the program Access across the network would cause too much congestion. So my thougts were to put the tables onto the SQL Server and that way, they are just accessign the SQL Server instead of sharing an access program across the network. Everything works fine on our LAN, but in our other locations in several states away, it is much much slower.
    You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later

Provided Answers: 59
    if it was designed for JET using bound controls and bound recordsets then you will have crappy performance the further you are from the central location
    to get over that you need to redesign the applciation
    splitting the app into a front end (containing the user interface) and if you continue with JET a back end or connect to a server (it doens't have to be SQL Server but any competant server product will do.

you need to get away from the bound foirm design approach that plain vanilla Access sucks you intoo using

you need to use pass through queries to retireve ONLY the data you need.
    you need to populate combo and list boxes with only the data you need.

there are ways of getting round some of these limitations
    one is to copy static data (eg customers, prodcuts etc) to local jet tables and retrieve the dynamic data fromt he central datastore.

upsizing an Access application from JET is not a trivial task, most of the groundwork that Access/JET does for you has to be redone with the new backend datastore in mind.

Assumign you have the budget I'd strongly reccomment you by the Sybex Access Developer handbook for your version of Access.. the enterprise handbook will have a wealth of stuff for you to reuse and consider
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Talking ...

I appreciate the info. I will look into all of that and see what I can come up with so speed things up. Again, thank you very much, you porovided a lot good info.

You could ask your IT department to set-up a Terminal Server and then allow remote users to login in to the Terminal Server at your Office and then the calls within Access would be local. All that is tranmitted on the WAN are the screens.

This does requirement an investment and committment from company but it also allows all your company's documents and emails to ber made available to all your users from a centralised server.

Simon