Unanswered: SQL2005 Service Pack3

Hi,
    I recently applied Service Pack 3 for SQL2005 64 bit and my server performance has been very slow since. The statistics have been updated on my databases, but that has not improved query performance.

THanks,
    Lakshmi

Call Microsoft

That's exactly what everybody is suggesting. Do you have any experience with this? I heard it costs 150 bucks per issue, I want to make sure that I get the right people and not waste the call

Any specific scenarios that you are looking at ? Or is it overall performance of the queries ?
    Get yourself a copy of the The Holy Book

order has no physical Brett in The meaning of a Kaiser . -database data

I am facing multiple issue

1. The db engine itself is very slow, even the simplest query is taking too long

2. SSIS packages are giving me "Communication Link Failure" error

3. SSAS cube processing is very slow and for some reason I am unable to view any of my calculated measures via excel

Quote Originally Posted by lmurthy
    That's exactly what everybody is suggesting. Do you have any experience with this? I heard it costs 150 bucks per issue, I want to make sure that I get the right people and not waste the call
    If you have a current MSDN subscription, you might be able to avoid the $150 charge...

MSDN Technical Support Incidents

As an MSDN Subscriber, you may be entitled to receive up to four technical support incidents depending on your subscription level. These support incidents can be used to resolve technical break-fix issues in a non-production environment and are the equivalent of paid Professional Support incidents. You can use a technical support incident to find a solution to a production issue if you can replicate that issue in a non-production environment.

Before you call MS and get charged, try downloading and installing the following utility (from MS): Download details: SQL Server 2005 Performance Dashboard Reports

You can read a bit more on how to use it here:

Making the Most Out of the SQL Server 2005 Performance Dashboard

Please note that the as-is download needs to be tweaked a little bit before it is really usable (I forget the changes, but they were not huge).

We've been running SP3 for about three months and have not noted any significant performance (or any other) issues.

Regards,

hmscott
    Have you hugged your backup today?

I've gotta agree with hmscott... you may have other issues that are not service pack related. Before you go logging a job with Microsoft I would take a look at:
    1. Your SQL Server Error logs. Make sure there's no problems in there
    2. Check your Windows event logs and make sure there's no problems in there too
    3. Check you're physical server and make sure there's no errors. (Eg. Failed RAID?)
    4. Run perfmon and check for bottlenecks. A good place to start is your basic server vitals (Pages/Sec, CPU, Disk IOs)

At least if you do the four steps above you can rule out other server problems.