Unanswered: oracle streams or standby server

Hello,
    I have got a production server.I want to create a new server and copy all data to this one.I am aiming to allow users to query this database for reporting purposes.

which method do you suggest? I searched and I found oracle streams
    is there anybody running oracle streams?

To me standby server looks like(logshipping of mssqlserver) and oraclestreams looks like(mssql replication)

I want to setup something easy to admin,maintain and manage.

I have got 3 oracle11g st on windows 2003 x64servers.

Thanks

Hi Sunsail,

I think its better for you to use Oracle streams. Its not easy to configure but there are a lot of references in the internet. Right now I have just completed configuring my streams set up and it was a bit complex but if you would just follow the correct steps replication would just be easy.

You can check metalink (Note 301431.1)

or

https://db.bme.hu/Manuals/Oracle/Ora...ms_trouble.htm

These are some of the few things that could help you. Just look and use for the one that suits your system.

Cool Reporting DB?

In Oracle 11g you have several alternatives for a reporting database:

1) Physical standby:
    - Read Only
    - Snapshot standby

2) Logical standby

3) Physical standby with cascade redo to logical standby

4) Streams
    The person who says it can't be done should not interrupt the person doing it. -- Chinese proverb

Provided Answers: 1
    We are using a Logical Standby Database for our reporting database. Easy to set up & maintain BUT we did have a couple of issues to iron out:

Discoverer Viewer (our main reporting tool) needs the database to be in read/write mode but a logical standby Db is set up to run in read-only mode, so we have had to turn off the database guard. As this will then allow users to update the standby Db we have had to restrict their roles to allow them 'query only' & we also had to remove some Discoverer permissions from them (e.g. 'save workbooks to database').

Other than that it was plain sailing.
    90% of users' problems can be resolved by punching them - the other 10% by switching off their PCs.

In one of the Oracle presentations, it says oracle streams is similar to logical standby

In the past I created standby server ,however I used 10g grid control.It was really simple with grid control.I donot have grid control at the moment.

can you say that oracle streams is easy to implement and maintain?

I checked oracle library.There are 2 ways to implement,enterprise manager and plsql packages.
    I went on enterprise manager direction and failed.Oracle documentation is too short for this type. I didnot try plsql packages yet.

I m thinking of one-directional and read-only-mode implementation.

I donot have metalink acc :/

Thanks

We're going to implement streams, after looking into the available options. Mainly, because we thought we might eventually start building VIEWS in the read-only system that do not exist in the parent. With DataGuard, you'd have to build it in the parent, and have it filter down to the Standby server.

It's my understanding that Streams is not that difficult to administer if you bring everything over from the parent. It's when you start designing a true data warehouse that the complications arise. That comment is coming from someone who hasn't implemented Streams yet, though, so beware

Other considerations:
    - Oracle asks that the Standby Server in data guard be an identical version as the parent
    - Oracle asks that the Standby Server in data guard be running on an identical O/S as the parent

The parent server is being run by a vendor, and we didn't want to have to keep identical pace with them. Even if the parent server was internal, I think I'd have made the same decision.

--=Chuck

Hi,
    at the moment there is a production db which is online and very busy with everyday entries.
    I ve already created views on this production for reporting.at the moment everybody is running queries on the production.I thought that with this views I could decrease the load on the production.I think I ll do it in the new reporting server.

I think as you said,standby server is forcing to prerequisitions which is OS.

on which level are you plannig to implement streams? I ll do schema streams.

what is the difference between logical standby and physical standby? I think oracle regards oracle streams as logical standby because oracle streams donot have OS limitations. I m just guessing.

whic oracle document do you suggest for one-directional and schema oracle streams implementation

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chuck_forbes
    We're going to implement streams, after looking into the available options. Mainly, because we thought we might eventually start building VIEWS in the read-only system that do not exist in the parent. With DataGuard, you'd have to build it in the parent, and have it filter down to the Standby server.

It's my understanding that Streams is not that difficult to administer if you bring everything over from the parent. It's when you start designing a true data warehouse that the complications arise. That comment is coming from someone who hasn't implemented Streams yet, though, so beware

Other considerations:
    - Oracle asks that the Standby Server in data guard be an identical version as the parent
    - Oracle asks that the Standby Server in data guard be running on an identical O/S as the parent

The parent server is being run by a vendor, and we didn't want to have to keep identical pace with them. Even if the parent server was internal, I think I'd have made the same decision.

--=Chuck

We're not far enough into the implementation for me to give you any links to any docs other than the Oracle docs.

Just for the record, I don't think that Streams is either a logical or a physical standby solution, it's a Replication solution. It's just that in our case, and it sounds like your's as well, you're not looking to perform any DML in the target server. We're just using the target as a read-only environment, in order to offload the non-OLTP functionality, but without actually putting the effort into denormalizing data & creating a true Data Warehouse solution.

--=Chuck