Unanswered: 2 foreign keys in one table to the same primary key of another table

Hi. I have a database in Access. tables ProductMovement and ProductLocations are attached in jpg. ProductMovement has 2 fields LeaveProductLocation and EnterProductLocation. Both of them are foreign keys to the ProductLocation table.
    I'm having trouble with a SELECT statement for ProductMovement. I need to do it with an input parameter for ProductMovement.EnterProductLocation.
    I believe that it is 'inner join' issue... i cannot handle multiple inner joins especially with 2 foreign keys.

I'm using this but 2nd bolded column here returns just ID and when i try to 'inner join' this as well, it returns no rows...

Code:
    "SELECT ProductMovement.ID, Products.Name, Vendors.Name, ProductMovement.Quantity, Measures.Name, ProductMovement.UnitPrice, ProductLocations.Name, ProductMovement.EnterProductLocationID, ProductMovement.LeaveDate, ProductMovement.EnterDate
    FROM ProductMovement, Products, Vendors, Measures, ProductLocations 
    WHERE Products.ID=ProductMovement.ProductID AND
    Vendors.ID=ProductMovement.VendorID AND 
    Measures.ID=ProductMovement.MeasureID AND
    ProductLocations.ID=ProductMovement.LeaveProductLocationID AND ProductMovement.EnterProductLocationID=@ID
    Appreciate your help. Thank you!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ProductMovement.JPG   ProductLocations.JPG  

Provided Answers: 2
    Unless I'm mis-reading the SQL (which is possible - I tend to use JOIN statements in the FROM clause), you're not joining ProductMovement.EnterProductLocationID to ProductLocations. Could that be the problem?

weejas, even if i create the query using Access' own wizard through INNER JOIN, those 2 fields are not still displayed...
    i wonder common query when 2 foreign keys from one table reference the same primary key in another table. if i could see an example, i believe i can handle my code.
    Last edited by emilh; 06-09-09 at 01:50.

Can you post an example of your data, along with the results that you expect to see in the query? That would make it easier to understand.

Table1: ProductLocations
    ------------------------
    ID (PK)
    Name
    ------------------------

Table2: ProductMovement
    ------------------------
    ID
    FromProductLocationID (FK)
    ToProductLocationID (FK)
    ------------------------

I want the result to be like this:

ProductMovement.ID|ProductLocation.Name ('From' field)|ProductLocation.Name ('To' field)

Table structure <> sample data :P
    Can you post a zipped copy of the database, with any sensitive information removed?

here it is. check relationship pls. thank you!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Got it!

You need to refer to the ProductLocations table twice, and each instance needs to join to either the ProductLocationLeaveID field or the ProductLocationEnterID field. Otherwise, you're looking for a location ID that matches the enter and leave IDs at the same time. Short of recording a movement from the bar to the bar (for example), you're not going to find any.

Try this code:
    Code:
    SELECT	PM.ID
    ,	P.Name
    ,	V.Name
    ,	PM.Quantity
    ,	M.Name
    ,	PM.UnitPrice
    ,	PLL.Name AS LeaveLocationName
    ,	PLE.Name AS EnterLocationName
    ,	PM.LeaveDate
    ,	PM.EnterDate
    FROM	ProductLocations AS PLE
    INNER JOIN (ProductLocations AS PLL
    INNER JOIN (Measures AS M
    INNER JOIN (Vendors AS V
    INNER JOIN (Products AS P
    INNER JOIN ProductMovement AS PM ON P.ID = PM.ProductID)
    ON V.ID = PM.VendorID)
    ON M.ID = PM.MeasureID)
    ON PLL.ID = PM.LeaveProductLocationID)
    ON PLE.ID = PM.EnterProductLocationID;
    Good luck!

oh weejas, thank you so much! it works very well! now i'll try to analyze this wonderful query

You're welcome!