Unanswered: pdo_pgsql connection problem

While setting up a testserver I'm running into a problem to connect to our database.
    Linux servername.domainname #1
    ("PostgreSQL 8.3.5 on x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, compiled by GCC gcc (GCC) 4.3.0 20080428 (Red Hat 4.3.0-8)" also a fedora core 9)
    Apache 2
    PHP API 20041225
    PHP Extension 20060613
    PDO Driver for PostgreSQL enabled
    PostgreSQL(libpq) Version 8.3.1
    Module version 1.0.2
    Revision $Id: pdo_pgsql.c,v 2007/01/01 09:36:05 sebastian Exp $

The error:
    Connection failed togsql:host=postgresserver.domain;port=5432;dbname=b la;;password=secret
    SQLSTATE[08006] [7] could not connect to server: Permission denied
    Is the server running on host "" and accepting\n\tTCP/IP connections on port 5432?

Also installed on the server is amfphp, there is a similar machine (fedora core9, 32bit) running as the production server, which does not have this problem. (This new server will be my tetserver for this production server)

All settings appear to be set up correctly (hba_conf, firewalls etc ...) and I can connect to the db using psql with the same login information. As you can see in the server details I'm using PDO_pgsql for my connection in PHP.
    The strange thing is that I don't see anything when I run tcpdump on the 'webserver' during the connection. So I'm pretty sure it has something to do with php/pdo or pdo_pgsql. (Which is the following forum I'll be posting this message to, when I finally find it)

I've searched long for this already but haven't found anything that comes close to the problem I'm having.
    I'd greatly appreciate anything that could help me solve it, it is a testserver so I can do re-installs etc. but I'd rather not

problem found: SELINUX