Unanswered: Problem connecting to database using PL/SQL

Hello everybody

I`ve got this database on an Oracle server to which I can connect using Oracle Forms without problem. I`m using an older Oracle forms version due to compatibility reasons (ifrun60.EXE). I also want to connect to the same database using PL/SQL ( Oracle 7i) so I can execute queries directly on the database. Unfortunately, I get the error :

Code:
    ORA-12571: TNS:packet writer failure
    I`ve checked the tnsora file and it seems ok. Could this be a conflict between the two versions?

7?

Oracle version 7 is obsolete and no longer supported.
    The person who says it can't be done should not interrupt the person doing it. -- Chinese proverb

Where the Surf Meets the Turf @Del Mar, CA
    Provided Answers: 1
    >Could this be a conflict between the two versions?
    Which two versions? The only DB version mentioned was V7?

What OS name & version?

post actual PL/SQL code via CUT & PASTE which generated the error

Code:
    12571, 00000, "TNS:packet writer failure"
    // *Cause: An error occurred during a data send.
    // *Action: Not normally visible to the user. For further details, turn
    // on tracing and reexecute the operation. If error persists, contact
    // Oracle Customer Support.
    post tailend of listener.log immediately after this error
    You can lead some folks to knowledge, but you can not make them think.
    The average person thinks he's above average!
    For most folks, they don't know, what they don't know.
    Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

Oracle version 7 is obsolete and no longer supported.
    I know that Oracle 7 is no longer supported but until we buy a newer information system, that is what we`ve got to work with.

What OS name & version?

I`m using Windows XP SP3 to connect to the database which runs on a Windows 2003 server. The problem now does not occur on a specific SQL query but just when I try to log on to the database using PL/SQL.

Where the Surf Meets the Turf @Del Mar, CA
    Provided Answers: 1
    You can lead some folks to knowledge, but you can not make them think.
    The average person thinks he's above average!
    For most folks, they don't know, what they don't know.
    Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

Look, I have a shortcut on my desktop to, "C:\Program Files\PLSQL Developer\plsqldev.exe". I then click on this shortcut and a dialog box pops up. In there I can see the service names of my databases. I then select the one I want to connect to and enter the username & password. Then I press ok and another modal dialog box pops with the error :

Code:
    ORA-12571; TNS:packet writer failure
    and that is all. I can tnsping the service name I want to connect without problem. Any ideas as to where to look next?

Oracle 7 uses sqlnet 1, all versions of later software (Oracle 8.17 and above) uses sqlnet 2. They are not compatible. Sql Developer uses sqlnet 2.
    Bill
    You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Quote Originally Posted by divined
    The problem now does not occur on a specific SQL query but just when I try to log on to the database using PL/SQL.
    Quote Originally Posted by divined
    Look, I have a shortcut on my desktop to, "C:\Program Files\PLSQL Developer\plsqldev.exe". I then click on this shortcut and a dialog box pops up. In there I can see the service names of my databases. I then select the one I want to connect to and enter the username & password. Then I press ok and another modal dialog box pops with the error :
    You are not using PL/SQL to log on, you are logging on via PL/SQL Developer. BIG difference. One (PL/SQL) is a language, the other (PL/SQL Develeoper) is an application. A wee tip for you. When you post on a forum, asking for others to help you, for others to give up their time without recompense, how about you leave the crappy attitude at the door and answer the questions that are asked of you. Frustration will rarely get you anywhere, and will more likely get you ignored. Good luck in the future.

thx guys! I didn`t mean to be obnoxious, I just wanted to state that I`m not executing any specific query and maybe I got a bit carried away.
    Back to the problem at hand that is exactly what is happening in my occasion. I`m trying to connect to my database via PL/SQL Developer and send some test queries. The fact is that PL/SQL can read the service names from the tns.ora file but when I try to connect I get that error. Maybe if I try a newer version of PL/SQL developer fixes the problem.
    Last edited by divined; 06-16-09 at 01:08.

I think that beilstwh has answered this@
    Oracle 7 uses sqlnet 1, all versions of later software (Oracle 8.17 and above) uses sqlnet 2. They are not compatible. Sql Developer uses sqlnet 2.
    i.e. SQL Developer is not compatible with Oracle 7.

Since you are using Oracle 7 and don't have much support from Oracle, I would look at what changed in the environment to cause this problem?

I suspect that instead of using sqlplus from the Oracle 7 client, they are trying to use sql developer with is not compatible with Oracle 7.
    Bill
    You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

thx, again for the replies. I managed to connect using SQL/PLus 8. But do I get the full functionality of PL/SQL using SQL/Plus?

The PL/SQL engine will be on the Oracle server, not on the Client so it'll give you all of the functionality of PL/SQL that was available back in the days of Oracle 7.

thx, again. An answer has been given and sufficienctly explained. This thread is closed.