Unanswered: not 2 steps upward compatible

MIND YOU, I AM PLAYING, not working. So when you do not find time to help me, it's O.K.
    Inbetween 2 customers I've got time to play with my laptop.
    So I've got arch-linux installed with DB2 9.5.0 express-C running. I've got VirtualBox installed with OS/2 as client O.S. (old-time-sake) and DB2/2 V7.2 running in that box. Recently I've discovered how to set-up port-forewarding so now I can TELNET from my linux host to my OS/2 client (big deal) .
    So why not DB2? The network part is no problem, port 50.005 is routed to 50.000 in my OS/2 box and TCPIP communication is enabled. On the linux host the tcpip node and database is catalogued... So everything should work!....But
    Code:
    [$]> db2 connect to vWsamp user XXX
    Enter current password for XXX: 
    SQL5048N  The release level of the database client is not supported by the 
    release level of the database server.
    Almost there, stumbled in sight of the finish... I'm out of tricks. Anyone a bright idea?

Have you checked the documentation for client-dbserver version compatability ?
    1-release up and 2-releases down is a guideline only.

Cheers
    Sathyaram
    Visit the new-look IDUG Website , register to gain access to the excellent content.

Migration essentials for clients

You will find the client-server compatability matrix in the link above. V7.2 is not listed.

It does explicity state "Connections to DB2 Version 9.5 servers from a client release prior to Version 8 are not supported." but is silent on v7.2 server and 9.5 client.
    Visit the new-look IDUG Website , register to gain access to the excellent content.