Question Which forum should I post this question in?

Hello forum,

I'm an utter newb to databasing and I've been tasked with a project outside my scope. I'm hoping the denizens here can help me get started? I don't know where to ask about this, so if someone could tell me the right board to post it in, I'd really appreciate it.

Basically, I am to build a program for calculating averages from some data. Originally the data was stored in a spreadsheet and read into the application. No issues there. I chose C#, since it's the language I am currently most familiar with.

However, I was recently told to store the data in a database instead. The database should be stored in as an independent file in the application that the program accesses and writes to. I was specifically told not to use a database server. It should be able to 'travel' with the application.

It sounds simple, but I don't know how to begin. I was told to look into SQLite, but others have told me it's garbage. I need advice on what to do. So where should I post this question?

SQLLite is fine for the purposes its designed for.
    it isn't if you want to build multi hundred users concurrent, exterprise db design, critical applications.
    it works fine as a small level db where there are not too many users, where the db isnt' storing critical data, where the usage is moderate.

for what you are desigining I'd agree yuou don't really need a database, you could happily read and write data from a flat file.

if the data sets are all discrete and not interelatred (and you don't have to compare data from different datasets) then the flat file approach may make more sense

if you need to compare accross datasets then a db becomes a 'smarter' approach in my mind.

as you are planning on using C# then you could sub class the data storage mechanism so that you could use whatever db backend you require. you wouldn't have to code to every implementation, only thise you actually need for this project.whoever told you
    The database should be stored in as an independent file in the application that the program accesses and writes to. I was specifically told not to use a database server. It should be able to 'travel' with the application.
    obviously has an agenda and i fear some limitations on their knowledge of server products
    there is no reason why you couldn't use say MySQl, even the corporate players have free editions of their server products eg msde, SQL Server personal.. theres even a personal version of Oracle and at least one of the IBM offerings.

in the file server based world theres 4 offerings I'm aware of... they are Filemaker, SQLLite, the one used by Open office and of course JET/Access. I wouldn't touch filemaker, and open office db is still way to immature in my books (I don't even know if it will develop).

if you are coding in the C# world then Access may be a good choice for what you want to do.

if you are developing in the open source world then MySQL would probably be the best choice.

there is nothing stopping you from creating the db on the fly when the application is installed (all SQL db's allow you to use a subset of SQL called DDL to create and define tables, columns and realtionships. the possible downside is that installing a server product may be time consuming and prone to error, where as within the C# world it should be easy to create a JET database easily enough
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Hi Healdem,

Thank you for your response, I will look into Access and JET.