Unanswered: MSSQL 2000 and 2005 concurrently run causing problem

Hi all,

I recently install MSSQL 2000 into my machine with MSSQL 2005 running.

It all went well until I try to access the database remotely.

I deleted all the data from Table1 using MSSQL 2000. But when I use MSSQL 2005 and connect to the database using <ipAddress>\<instanceName>, the data is still there which later I found out it still reading data from MSSQL 2005.

But when I access the database remotely using <serverName>\<instanceName>, it actually return the result expected, the data in Table1 is no longer there.

Hope I can get some help here on why it is still reading data from MSSQL 2005 when I access remotely using <ipAddress>\<instanceName>.

Toronto, Canada
    Provided Answers: 1
    I do not think that the same database can belong to different instances simultaneously. In other words, you deleted data from one database in the 2000 instance but then see data are still there in another database in the 2005 instance.
    "It does not work" is not a valid problem statement.

Long Island
    I would imagine one should be a named instance, both cannot share the same SQL Name.

do a select @@servername from each instance to find the name.

Hey, thanks for the reply.

I found out the problem. It is because of the port number.

When I wanted to access the database in SQL 2000 remotely, I have to do <ipAddress>\<instanceName>, <portNumber>. So I actually specified a port number SQL 2005 is using when SQL 2000 is using another port.

So all I need to do is to specify the correct port number SQL 2000 is using and everything is fine.