Unanswered: Alphabetize Combo Box Selections

Currently I have a combo box that a user chooses a name from the list. All names are different and some have middle intial and some do not. Is there a way I can alphabetize by last name?

Thanks,
    CT

Provided Answers: 59
    set an order by clause on the sql (assuming you have the surnames as a separate column in the db

if you have stored the name as CT Chris then you will have to split the name into its constituent parts
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

So I need to take the name field and make seperate fields for first, middle, and last names?

Is there another way around that? All of my data entry forms, etc have it as one field for name... The user inputs "First" "M.I" "Last" in one form, sometimes omitting the "M.I"

Thanks,
    CT

Provided Answers: 59
    there is an alternative to use a function to chop off the rightmost 'word'.. however the performance will be horrific.

what you are trying to do is retrospectively correct data input errors. the place to do that is at the time of original data input.

you could manipulate your data to extract the surnames from your exisitng data, AND make sure future data is supplied correctly.
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton