Question Unanswered: Connect to SQL Server 2005 using command line

Hi all,

I have used Oracle's sqlplus command line tool in the past and am familiar with it. I would like to learn MS SQL Server's command line tool of isql. When I try to connect I get the error below. I've studied up and it appears my server is not in my interfaces file, but I do not know much about SQL Server. Can someone please assist me or point me in the right direction?

CT-LIBRARY error:
    ct_connect(): directory service layer: internal directory control layer error: Requested server name not found.

Quote Originally Posted by Annorax
    Hi all,

I have used Oracle's sqlplus command line tool in the past and am familiar with it. I would like to learn MS SQL Server's command line tool of isql. When I try to connect I get the error below. I've studied up and it appears my server is not in my interfaces file, but I do not know much about SQL Server. Can someone please assist me or point me in the right direction?

CT-LIBRARY error:
    ct_connect(): directory service layer: internal directory control layer error: Requested server name not found.
    With SQL Server 2005, use osql.

c:> osql -S <your server name> -E

Notes:
    1. This will give you access to SQL Server <your server name> using Windows integrated authentication.
    2. The switches in osql are case sensitive.

Regards,

hmscott
    Last edited by hmscott; 06-15-09 at 17:39.
    Have you hugged your backup today?

actually osql is deprecated in 2005. sqlcmd.exe is what you want.

Quote Originally Posted by jezemine
    actually osql is deprecated in 2005. sqlcmd.exe is what you want.
    Jezemine is absolutely right. I rarely use command line and I think osql came out by muscle memory more than anything else.

sqlcmd -S <your server name> -E

Connects you to a sql 2005 (or SQL 2000) instance using windows integrated authentication.

Regards,

hmscott
    Have you hugged your backup today?

Quote Originally Posted by hmscott
    Jezemine is absolutely right. I rarely use command line and I think osql came out by muscle memory more than anything else.

sqlcmd -S <your server name> -E

Connects you to a sql 2005 (or SQL 2000) instance using windows integrated authentication.

Regards,

hmscott

I use the command line quite a bit for cmd scripting. isql anyone ?

Provided Answers: 54
    I agree, isql.exe was a great tool for SQL 7.

I used osql.exe in SQL 2000, and have used sqlcmd.exe in SQL 2005 and SQL 2008.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.