Unanswered: How to find if Replication is enabled or disabled on Sybase ASE?

What would be the quickest way to find out whether replication is enabled or disabled for database on a Sybase ASE.
    Which stored procs if any would help me find the information and what configuration would I have to look at?
    Any help is much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by d_shanke
    What would be the quickest way to find out whether replication is enabled or disabled for database on a Sybase ASE.
    Which stored procs if any would help me find the information and what configuration would I have to look at?
    Any help is much appreciated.
    You asked a complicated question Depends if you want to just check if its primary or you want to check all patterns in an environment.

If you just want to see the primary, its fairly easy.

1. sp_help_rep_agent --Gives what replication server the repagent is attached to.
    and/or
    use db
    go
    dbcc gettrunc
    go
    -- The secondary trunc state will be 1 if the secondary marker is enabled.

However, even if the both returns output, it doesnt mean replication is working necessarily I know its not that easy.

Have a look at this and download Replication Pattern perl script.

http://www.sypron****/misctools.html

Thanks trvishi! Truly speaking I am a novice at the sybase replication concept and do not hold knowledge of what all makes up a complete replication system.
    I was plainly told to come up with a function or query which would check that replication database is enabled or disabled. Only after an initial glance at the notes on replication system did I realize the vastness of the topic.
    So instead of reading through all the notes I thought maybe there was some quick way to do this. So I had to frame the question in that way

The link that you have provided does not work. Can you please post it again!

Each of the options mentioned by trvishi would work, but has their own quirks :

- sp_help_rep_agent would still return a line for each database that has a configured RepAgent, even if the secondary truncation pointer is invalid.
    - dbcc gettrunc() requires you to run it in the current database.

You can also use the syslogshold table in the master database. This table indicates the oldest active transaction in all the databases. If a secondary truncation pointer is enabled, there is a second "permanent" entry in this table that indicates it :
    Code:
     select * from master..syslogshold
     where name = '$replication_truncation_point'
    This will indicate something similar to this :
    Code:
    dbid        reserved    spid        page        xactid         masterxactid   starttime                      name                                                                xloid       
    ----------- ----------- ----------- ----------- ------         ------------   ---------                      ----                                                                ----------- 
              6           0           0     4622313 0x000000000000 0x000000000000 Jun 17 2009 11:41AM            $replication_truncation_point                                                 0 
              5           0           0       73273 0x000000000000 0x000000000000 Jun 17 2009 11:42AM            $replication_truncation_point                                                 0
    Using this also has it's own quirk.. A secondary truncation pointer can be active for a database, even if the Replication agent for it has not been configured with 'sp_config_rep_agent'.
    Should this be the case, it's good to know that anyway, as the database will likely run out of transaction log at some point if data in it is being updated. In this case, the truncation point can be removed using :
    Code:
    use <database>
    go
    dbcc settrunc ('ltm', 'ignore')
    go
    If you frequently load production databases into test / development environments like we do, you might want to disable them as a rule anyway as part of your load procedure / script.

Quote Originally Posted by d_shanke

The link that you have provided does not work. Can you please post it again!
    http://www.sypron****/trvishi.reppattern.txt

For some reason, if I post the URL the site doesnt like it.

go to sypron website. Just google it

and then just put a slash after that and type trvishi.reppattern.text

I have to say though. This script is for people who already know a bit of replication. But give it a shot if you would like.
    Last edited by trvishi; 07-02-09 at 18:21.