Database of Recipes

Hi,

I'm relatively green at creating normalized databases, but would love some input.

For a class project, I want to create a small program to compare items in a pantry to a list of recipes to see if the ingredients are available to make a certain recipe.

What would be a proper way to represent the combination of ingredients that make up a certain recipe?

Look up Relational Division. You should find some useful examples. Don't expect other people to do your homework for you.

Quote Originally Posted by dportas
    Look up Relational Division. You should find some useful examples. Don't expect other people to do your homework for you.
    It's actually for a continuing ed. class so the project is assigned by me to myself. Thanks for the tip minus the self-righteous comment.

Thanks for the back-handed thanks I guess!! Many people here are wary about answering questions that appear to be coursework. Students often try to cheat by seeking help in online forums. The professional and courteous way to respond is to maybe offer one or two comments on work the student has done so far while at the same time hinting that she should not expect direct and complete answers. I think most people would agree that there's nothing self-righteous about it.

Quote Originally Posted by dportas
    most people would agree that there's nothing self-righteous about it.
    Totally agree - absolutely nothing at all self-righteous about it.

Quote Originally Posted by sethmac
    I'm relatively green at creating normalized databases, but would love some input.
    Why not show us the design you've come up with so far and then ask us to comment on that.