Thread: Report Builder

Unanswered: Report Builder

Hi Guys I installed sQL Client tools onto a users pc and I am trying to get them access to report builder but when she clicks on it doesnt connect. however she can connect to Reporting Services and and the database but not Report Builder

Hi,

So I understand what you're saying - the user is clicking on the Report Builder button on the Report Manager site and Reporting Builder is not opening?

A few questions:
    Are you using IE as the web browser?
    Are there any prompts or messages when you click on the report builder button?

Yes I am using Internet Explorer and the message I get is

Code:
    PLATFORM VERSION INFO
    	Windows 			: 5.1.2600.196608 (Win32NT)
    	Common Language Runtime 	: 2.0.50727.3082
    	System.Deployment.dll 		: 2.0.50727.3053 (netfxsp.050727-3000)
    	mscorwks.dll 			: 2.0.50727.3082 (QFE.050727-3000)
    	dfdll.dll 			: 2.0.50727.3053 (netfxsp.050727-3000)
    	dfshim.dll 			: 2.0.50727.3053 (netfxsp.050727-3000)

SOURCES
    	Deployment url			: http://ReportServer/ReportBuilder/ReportBuilder.application

ERROR SUMMARY
    	Below is a summary of the errors, details of these errors are listed later in the log.
    	* Activation of http://ReportServer/ReportBuilder/ReportBuilder.application resulted in exception. Following failure messages were detected:
    		+ Downloading http://ReportServer/ReportBuilder/ReportBuilder.application did not succeed.
    		+ The remote server returned an error: (401) Unauthorized.

COMPONENT STORE TRANSACTION FAILURE SUMMARY
    	No transaction error was detected.

WARNINGS
    	There were no warnings during this operation.

OPERATION PROGRESS STATUS
    	* [6/16/2009 6:48:07 PM] : Activation of http://ReportServer/ReportBuilder/ReportBuilder.application has started.

ERROR DETAILS
    	Following errors were detected during this operation.
    	* [6/16/2009 6:48:07 PM] System.Deployment.Application.DeploymentDownloadException (Unknown subtype)
    		- Downloading http://ReportServer/ReportBuilder/ReportBuilder.application did not succeed.
    		- Source: System.Deployment
    		- Stack trace:
    			at System.Deployment.Application.SystemNetDownloader.DownloadSingleFile(DownloadQueueItem next)
    			at System.Deployment.Application.SystemNetDownloader.DownloadAllFiles()
    			at System.Deployment.Application.FileDownloader.Download(SubscriptionState subState)
    			at System.Deployment.Application.DownloadManager.DownloadManifestAsRawFile(Uri& sourceUri, String targetPath, IDownloadNotification notification, DownloadOptions options, ServerInformation& serverInformation)
    			at System.Deployment.Application.DownloadManager.DownloadDeploymentManifestDirectBypass(SubscriptionStore subStore, Uri& sourceUri, TempFile& tempFile, SubscriptionState& subState, IDownloadNotification notification, DownloadOptions options, ServerInformation& serverInformation)
    			at System.Deployment.Application.DownloadManager.DownloadDeploymentManifestBypass(SubscriptionStore subStore, Uri& sourceUri, TempFile& tempFile, SubscriptionState& subState, IDownloadNotification notification, DownloadOptions options)
    			at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.PerformDeploymentActivation(Uri activationUri, Boolean isShortcut, String textualSubId, String deploymentProviderUrlFromExtension, BrowserSettings browserSettings, String& errorPageUrl)
    			at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.ActivateDeploymentWorker(Object state)
    		--- Inner Exception ---
    		System.Net.WebException
    		- The remote server returned an error: (401) Unauthorized.
    		- Source: System
    		- Stack trace:
    			at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetResponse()
    			at System.Deployment.Application.SystemNetDownloader.DownloadSingleFile(DownloadQueueItem next)

COMPONENT STORE TRANSACTION DETAILS
    	No transaction information is available.

The user has got a 401 error from IIS - this means they don't have permissions to access reportbuilder. It'd be worthwhile having a check of your IIS permissions - open up your report webserver properties and check out your directory security.

I looked and they are under the User/local Users group so shouldnt they have access?? All are checked under that group, should they have write also??

Read & Execute
    List folder content
    Read

Did you add them to the System Users group?

Upper right hand corner -> Site Settings
    Left side near the bottom -> Configure site-wide security
    Top left of the screen -> New Role Assignment
    Type in user login in "Group or user name" box, check System User box, click OK

Have the user try again!

-- This is all just a Figment of my Imagination --

Quote Originally Posted by tomh53
    Did you add them to the System Users group?

Upper right hand corner -> Site Settings
    Left side near the bottom -> Configure site-wide security
    Top left of the screen -> New Role Assignment
    Type in user login in "Group or user name" box, check System User box, click OK

Have the user try again!

thanks Tom they were already there. I was wondering see the users are part of the aD domain. they are in ad, and they log into sql through mix mode, so they have to use user name and password. The other thing is when open RS on my own personal pc at home and type in my user name and password I can open Report Builder with no problems. I dont understand
    Last edited by desireemm; 06-18-09 at 12:35.

Hi,

It still sounds like the user doesn't have access to the ReportBuilder resource in IIS... try the following steps and see if it helps:

Open IIS
    Open Web Sites --> Default Web Site --> ReportServer --> ReportBuilder
    Right click ReportBuilder.application
    Click Properties
    Click File Security
    Click Edit under Authentication and Access Control
    Select Enable Anonymous Access (Note: Security hole)
    Click OK
    Repeat the above steps for ReportBuilder.exe and ReportBuilder.exe.manifest

If that works at least you know the problem is on the IIS side of things.

Cheers,

Ok Wilkis I will give it a try thanks for all your help. Quick question the tech tried to turn on SSL under directory security but after that it RS would not start. The reason he did that because of an article on the same problem

Russell Christopher's Semi-Useful BI Musings : SQL Server 2005 Report Builder and Basic Authorization

the problem was that RS stopped working, not sure why

We had a similar problem and the resolution was surprisingly simple.

All we had to do is when accessing the Report Manager site, on the AD credentials prompt tick "Remember my password" - thus making the IE cache the credentials.

That solved the issue when 401 Unauthroized error pops up on trying to download Report Builder from the Report Manager.