Unanswered: ORA-03113: end-of-file on communication channel

I've got a slightly strange issue that I am struggling to trace ...

using sqlplus or pls/developer connecting to one of our remote customers keeps coming up with this error when selecting from any fairly large table or trying to recompile any function / procedure

ORA-03113: end-of-file on communication channel

If I connect to any other remote customer (dozens of different servers all in different facilities) and access a large table or compile any routine there are no issues at all.

There are two servers in the same facility and I have the same issue connecting to databases on either server which suggests its not a database or listener issue (cant see any errors in the listener.log). I've rebooted both servers and I can use sqlplus or pl/sql developer on the servers and can access the data with no problems.

I can connect to the servers via NetSupport and transfer files fine and the Apache server in the same facility can be accessed with no issues so it only seems to be oracle network traffic that is the issue.

Has anyone experienced anything similar ... any ideas how to even trace where it's breaking down?

cheers
    Robert
    There are 10 types of people in the world, those that know Binary and those that don't.

It feels like a Oracle client software version problem to me.
    Can you give the versions of the O/S and Oracle client software from both a client site that works and the one where it does not.

Turn on tracing in sqlnet.ora(client side) and listener.ora on both client and server sides if you can.

Is there anything in logfiles on Oracle net (client or server) side?
    Is there anything new in alert.log (ORA-600 or 700 series errors)?
    Any new files in USER_DUMP_DEST or BACKGROUND_DUMP_DEST?
    Is there any chance the client where is does not work is using a virtual machine of some sort?

Post any logs of interest and I'll have a look.

Thanks
    Frank

There were no errors logged at all, the session just vanished from the database.

After some (read lots!) of time talking and testing with the network engineers the problem resolved to a firewall setting!! This is their response for what it's worth

"I have removed an SQL fixup due to a limitation on the packet reassembly
    buffer - this explains why smaller queries were ok and larger ones were
    failing."
    There are 10 types of people in the world, those that know Binary and those that don't.

Networks

Networks, why cannot everything run on one giant server
    Glad your problem is solved.

Frank