Provided Answers: 54

Unanswered: SQL 2005 cluster node rebuild

I've just rebuilt one node of a Windows 2003 R2 / SQL 2005 sp2 cluster. Of course, this is a "critical production cluster" so I can't test the newly built node easily.

For those of you that have done a cluster rebuild on SQL 2005, you know how easily details can be missed in the rebuild. Does anyone have any way to check a SQL 2005 cluster node rebuild that is non-intrusive (causes zero down time), or any checklists for the rebuild process that you'd be willing to share?

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Provided Answers: 11
    You could create a dummy group (ideally with a disk resource in it), and see if that fails over nicely. That would test the cluster service on the rebuilt node, as well as the path from the server to the SAN.

As for utilities that will check for you, I am not aware of any. Of course, I have not had to rebuild a cluster in this podunk shop here.

Rebuilding a SQL 2000 or a SQL 2008 cluster is easy, and at least moderately intuitive to me... SQL 2005 is qute a different beast and it requires a whole different way of thinking to make things work smoothly.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Provided Answers: 11
    Well, the solution is obvious, then. Just upgrade to SQL 2008 ;-)

That's in the works, but still a few months off. This is a specific vertical application that most of the company depends on every working day, so the approval process is a bit more complex than the receipe files and the little black book.

-PatP