Unanswered: Can anyone help me edit a Database?

Hi all,

I Was wondering if there was anyone out there that can help me, I have acquired a database which is used for purchasing stock (Purchase Order Database) from a work college and need to make some reconfigurations to a few areas of the database. I was wondering if this is possible and if there was anyone out there that may be willing to lend a hand.

Thanks for your time

Provided Answers: 59
    you canmake whatever changes you like to an Access database providing you have the mdb and can open up the db in design view, and you can open all existing objects in design view. if you don't have design rights then you cant do much (except perhaps try to import them into a blank database).

as to wether people will be willign to lend a hand that's up to them. you will find this palce is a ghreat resource for assisting, pointing out an approach. but it doesn't do for you.

to a certain extent it depends on what changes you want to make
    how much experience you have in Access
    how prepare you are to dive in and make changes yourself (remember back ups are you very bestest mates)
    and perhaps most importantly of all how prepared you are to push yourself.

if you want someone to do it for you.. then it isn't going to work
    if you want to learn Access / VBA / JET SQL and all the other skills from scratch such as data modelling, physicla design, application design and so on then this isn't really the place (we will help where we can but we cannot teach someone).. preach at we are more than capable of.....
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

I really do not have the aptitude for learning the principles of MDB's but am will to pay for any help if there are developers out there short of some money. I have full rights and I have the MDB it is just a case of changing the Business name on the front page and the and removing users and companies listed in the DB.

Thanks for your reply.

Provided Answers: 59
    changing the name is pretty trivial, depending on how ht eoriginal desinger has implemented it

it could be hard coded ie actaully on each form or report, or it coudl be data. the best thing to do is to note each reference to the old name. then go in and try to find that form or reprot and make the changes as required

removing uses.. there will be a table somewhere with the users in.. personally for now if I were you I'd leave whats there and start with new user id's. make sure you create one or two users accounts with designer privilege

removing data
    open the table(s) double click 'em
    select all the data, press delete.
    you may get an error message (depending on how the data is set up)

however you need a thorough understanding of the data model to make certain you are not deleting anything you shouldn't, and making certain you delete everything you should.

In you place I think you should foind someone locally who can do this as a paid job for you. why... becuase there is some come back if it subsequently goes a bit Pete Tong
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Thank you for your reply; if there are any developers in London looking for a spot of work please drop me a message