Unanswered: Top 5 for each date - access query

I have been racking my brains to figure this out but for the life of me i cannot. That is why i have come here. I hope someone can help.

I need to get the top 5 results for each date. The query is currently running on a subform but shows way to many results for each day. I need to limit this to five. I have looked at the sql statement to insert SELECT TOP 5 etc but cannot figure it out. I believe my SQL statement currently is a bit complex. That is due to my database being a bit complex. Here is the sql statment i need the select statment to be attached to.

SELECT [Current MTD Scrap].F1, tbl_dailyperformance.Date, [Current MTD Scrap].F11, [Current MTD Scrap].F12, Sum([F17]+[F18]+[F19]+[F20]) AS [Total Cost], Sum([Current MTD Scrap].F24) AS SumOfF24
    FROM [Current MTD Scrap] INNER JOIN tbl_dailyperformance ON [Current MTD Scrap].F1 = tbl_dailyperformance.Date
    GROUP BY [Current MTD Scrap].F1, tbl_dailyperformance.Date, [Current MTD Scrap].F11, [Current MTD Scrap].F12
    HAVING ((([Current MTD Scrap].F11)<>"23S"))
    ORDER BY Sum([Current MTD Scrap].F24) DESC;

Hope someone can help

Thanks in advance

One Flump in One Place
    No, top N over group is always tricky.

A few questions:
    Top 5 what for each date? I suspect SUM(F24), but I'm not sure.
    Why bother with the tbl_dailyperformance table? It seems unnecessary, apart from possibly limited the dates.
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.

The database is quite complex...well rather the database may not have to be complex but i have made it complex. The tbl_dailyperformancetable is where the user inputs all information. I have linked this table to queries. A bit messy but kind of works so bit reluctant to move stuff. The date is current_mtd_scrap.F1 F1 is the date. Its linked all over the place. Below will show basically what i am trying to achieve

DATE, customer, SCRAP CODE, tool number, works order number, SQFT

Current_MTD_Scrap: (linked table to excel spreadsheet)

same + more information as above

* I need to break down down for each DATE. Top 5 SCRAP CODE with SQFT decsending. I can send the database for you too look but a bit messy. Normally ok at databases but linked databases etc a bit tricky

Please see attached docs.

Hopefully it will explain a little easier
    Attached Files Attached Files