Unanswered: Annotated time graph database design

HI
    We are planning to design a database which would work as the stock exchange graph.. using the annotated time line..
    Visualization: Annotated Time Line - Google Visualization API - Google Code

Depending upon the start and end date set in the annotated time line, we have to bring in the data and show it to the users... As it is obsolete to fetch all data between the start and end date.. even though the graph b/t start and end date is high, we are planning to optimize it.. to make a graph with not much nor more data fed to it..

So we have set some degrees.. basically (1 - 1/2 hr,2 - 2 hr,3 - 1 day,4 - 3 days,5 - 15 days).. this would be the time gap with which the data is brought lying between the start and end date.

Can you please suggest me with any methodologies or links to them.. I googled for it.. did not get much information about this.. n frankly speaking.. this is my first time wherein i have to worry about optimization than just get the work done..

Thanks in advance..

can anyone please comment on this.. it would be really helpful to me..
    thank you..

Provided Answers: 1
    obsolete to fetch all data?
    I think you are going to need to explain more clearly in order to get an answer.
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com

Thanks blindman for the reply.

We have been updating the data(shares prices, up down.. etc..) to the database at the time span of 1/2 hr for around 3 yrs from now. We also have a front end consisting of simple htmls with frames of google visualization apis for annotated time. Each and every data during the span is brought from the database to the front end.. a dynamic chart is created and displayed. So, whenever a user wants to see a chart for a year or more, it would take around 15-20 secs for the page to render, and sometimes the browser crashes.
    So we are thinking that for drawing a graph of a yr, we dont need record of every half hr we have collected. Also it doesnt make much of a difference overall for the graph... As we have a zoom in option in the visualization tool, whenever the user wants to see a in detail graph of like for a week, we can render all records during the week and show...

I hope you are getting what i wanted to say..

THanks

Thanks blindman for the reply.

We have been updating the data(shares prices, up down.. etc..) to the database at the time span of 1/2 hr for around 3 yrs from now. We also have a front end consisting of simple htmls with frames of google visualization apis for annotated time. Each and every data during the span is brought from the database to the front end.. a dynamic chart is created and displayed. So, whenever a user wants to see a chart for a year or more, it would take around 15-20 secs for the page to render, and sometimes the browser crashes.
    So we are thinking that for drawing a graph of a yr, we dont need record of every half hr we have collected. Also it doesnt make much of a difference overall for the graph... As we have a zoom in option in the visualization tool, whenever the user wants to see a in detail graph of like for a week, we can render all records during the week and show...

I hope you are getting what i wanted to say..

THanks

Seems to me you are going to need a business rule to decide which data to return/display depending upon the zoom level.

blindman

yes.. but how would i go about implementing it.. on the databases. I was thinking of using some views to generate everday's avg fluctuation.. but tht too isnt an optimum solution..

I still don't understand. Is the problem with the number of annotations returned, or the number of datapoints?
    If datapoints, then create a sproc that aggregates at different levels depending upon the zoom-level parameter supplied.

blindman