Thread: Table Design

Angry Unanswered: Table Design

HI
    I m doing a proj on birth-death automation.wat shall i hav as primary key whether any id or name....

Generate a id for each person and keep it as a primary key or keep a composite key such as date and name.

Provided Answers: 4
    As every person has certain identification number (depending on country you live in, its name may vary; one of the most "popular" is the US Social Security Number (SSN)), it might be a good choice as everyone has it and it is unique.

"Date + name" combination doesn't have to be unique so - I'd rather not choose it to be used as a primary key.

tats fine, but v hav to allot no(SSN) to every1...
    but our superior is asking as to keep a register no which wil reset for every year..
    so can v keep year(date) and register no as prim key..

Please write in English. Many people here do not have English as their first language so posting in IM speak or phonetics makes it very difficult to understand.
    so can v keep year(date) and register no as prim key..
    No idea. We don't know your data, you do. Why not look up the properties of what a Primary Key is meant to be. Then find the appropriate column/column combination that fits the model. If there is no appropriate combination, then simply create a surrogate PK for the table.