Unhappy Unanswered: Restore from Backup

I do backup of database everyday as supposed and i stongly believe that the restore will be of use any time the need arise but to my suprise, I mistakenly updated the wrong records which can not be corrected manually except I restore fro the previous backup.

The statement below is error report i get on restoring my database to the specified bk file

Restore failed for Server 'DBSS' (Microsoft.Sqlserver.Smo)

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: The tail of the log for the database"DBSSOL" has not been backed up. Use BACKUP LOG WITH NORECOVERY to backup the log if it contains work you dont want to lose. Use the WITH REPLACE or WITH STOPAT caluse of the RESTORE statement to just overwrite the contents of the log. (Microsoft.SqlServer.Smo)

Can anybody advice me on what to do?

Provided Answers: 1
    You were doing full backups. Were you doing log backups?
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman "sqlblindman"

In front of the computer
    Provided Answers: 54
    This message is telling you that there is data in the log that has not been backed up, which is essentially the work that has been done since your most recent backup.

You have two options to work around this. If your SQL Server has enough disk space, you can restore your backup using a different database name such as 'DBSS_Copy" which would give you access to the data in the backup without losing the work you've done between the time that your backup copy was made and now. The alternative is to sacrafice any changes you've made since your backup was taken and use the WITH REPLACE clause in the RESTORE statement (or the equivalent GUI checkbox).

If you have questions, I'd strongly recommend that you get them answered before you try a restore. A restore can be destructive in the sense that you might lose data that wasn't included in your backup, so you want to know what you are doing instead of experimenting on production data.

In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.