Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Unanswered: Excel 2007 Add-in to save DBF

I have been "upgraded" to Excel 2007 which I discovered does not save to DBF format

So I put together the attached Excel 2007 add-in to add this functionality back in. Once activated, it will add a "dBASE IV DBF" menu item in the Office menu Save As list. It works mostly like the Excel 2003 save as DBF.

To install, unzip the attachment to your "Documents and Settings\UserName\Application Data\Microsoft\AddIns\" folder and activate it in Excel.

One issue is that the Jet driver ignores the data types and uses what it thinks is best instead. A work-around would be to reopen the table with the VFPOLEDB driver and alter table the columns to what you want.

Hopefully people will find this more useful than copying the data to Access and exporting from there.

Attached Files Attached Files

I have an error trying to save as dbfIV - see attached screenshot.
    Thanks for any hint about whats wrong here.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails savedbf.JPG  

Was there an error message that came up when that happened?

Yes, a dialog box saying (in French)

Compilation error
    Project or library not found

Bonne soirée :-)

Usually this error is caused by a missing library reference.

Here are suggested steps to solve this problem. They might not be exact as I don't have Excel 2007 where I am right now.

1. Open the Visual Basic editor (Alt + F11 ???)
    2. Open Module1 in SaveDBFIV
    3. In the Tools menu choose References.
    4. If there are any items in the list that are marked as MISSING, deselect them. (Write them down for future use)
    5. Save and try again
    6. If that does not fix the problem, you might need to try and find a similar library to the missing one in the list and select it.

I'm not sure how Excel labels things in French, but hopefully it is similar.

If this doesn't work, please post which references were labeled MISSING. If there were no missing references, please post all of the references that are selected.

Bonne chance

Only 4 are ticked, none are marked as missing.

Perhaps I need to tick some more (=install?).

I attach a screenshot.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails vb.JPG  

It is strange that only 4 were selected. Try to select the following also:

Microsoft ActiveX Data Objects 2.8 Library
    Microsoft ActiveX Data Objects Recordset 2.8 Library
    Microsoft ADO Ext. 2.8 for DDL and Security
    Microsoft Scripting Runtime

If that still doesn't work and the error message changes or the highlighted line of code changes, please post the update.

Now I have
    Missing: Visual Foxpro 9 Type Library

I think it should work without the Visual FoxPro 9 Type Library. That was something I was experimenting with during development.

If you deselect that one does it still give you the same error?

The selection comes back on itself ?

That is very strange. I'm attaching an updated version that doesn't have that Visual FoxPro reference activated. Please try this one and let me know if it works.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks it works now, with some constraints:
    If I edit and existing dbf I need to give a new name - it couldn't replace the existing one. Also, necessary to go through the "Save as..." menu to save change.

Add-in to Save dbf in Excel 2007

You could also try:

XLSX2DBF is an Excel 2007 add-in that helps convert and/or save a native DBF file that was edited with Excel 2007.

Two common scenarios are supported:

A) Open a native DBF file in Excel 2007 – Make changes – Save as a native DBF file with the changes.

B) Open/create an Excel file that looks like a database (headers/columns/rows) – Save as a native DBF file.

http://thexlwiz.blogspot.com

Gyula

I'm having problems getting either of the versions you've posted to work. I have all the references you listed as required selected but it fails on the line cat.Tables.Append tbl

I get the following error message:
    Run-time error ‘-2147467259 (80004005)’:
    Unexpected error from external database driver (15877).

Hello,
    I downloaded upgraded "SaveDBFIV.zip", extracted under proper addin folder and activated under excel2007. It is seen under active application add-ins under excel options. No missing entries found under visual basic references. But still it is not working. There is no "dBASE IV DBF" menu item in the Office menu Save As list. Please HELP.

Subbudu