Unanswered: Shrinking of database

Hello, when shrinking a data file i get the below but the file does not shrink does this mean that there is not enough space to shrink the file or what does it mean?

dbid fileid CurrentSize MinSize UsedPages EstimatedPages
    7 1 8481288 96 8466512 8466512

Thanks
    Last edited by f3494152; 06-23-09 at 10:10.

What below ?

Sorry, i will attach the message shortly. Thanks

Do you show any "space Available" in the DB properties tab (outside the size of the .ldf file)?

Are you sure that it is not all Tlog space (.ldf) that reflects your space available for the database ?

If you are trying to shrink your transaction log (.ldf) you will need to do a transaction log backup first - then shrink.

Also because of the way the pages may be ordered you may need to backup the transaction log and shrink the log file a few times for this to have a major impact.

hi, i am trying to shrink the data file (mdf). The db properties tab shows that there is 0mb free space.

Quote Originally Posted by f3494152
    hi, i am trying to shrink the data file (mdf). The db properties tab shows that there is 0mb free space.
    It looks like it's been shrunk as far as it can go. 0MB free is never a good thing. Are you sure you don't mean you want it grow? If you did shrink the .mdf, be sure to rebuild your indexes because you've rendered them potentially useless.