Unanswered: SSIS import wizard edit maping

Hello Guys,
    I have been trying to import a table from CSV flat file to SQL server using SSIS services and when I import it without any edit in mapping then it works fine but when I try to edit mapping like changing the destination column name or datatype or something else then it gives me an error.

Does anybody know what I am doing wrong??

Kunal

Provided Answers: 10
    SSIS is very finickity about it's metadata. When you declare source and destination columns, data type, lengths, precisions, names, etc are all stored within the package.

If you change a source or destination column definition the stored metadata is "out of synch" with the metadata you are now providing.

You have a couple of ways of fixing this depending on the exact error you are recieiving, but generally if you double-click the warning/error message in the error message window and then ok any suggested changes, the warning/error should dissapear.

If you provide more details, we can provide a better answer.

Hope it helps!
    George
    Home | Blog

George,
    Microsoft has really been finicky over this issue because when I complete the wizard and look at the report, it says all the tasks have successfully been implemented but when I debug the package then in control flow and data flow, I see red boxes instead of green and along with that I don't see any table created in my management studio.

I mean it is not giving any error on one hand an don the other hand it is not showing any results. I am not sure whether its problem of Microsoft or I am the one who isdoing wrong.

Kunal

Provided Answers: 1
    I keep forgetting what SSIS is an acronym for, but if one of those "S"s doesn't stand for "Sucks" then we will need to add another.
    Are you trying to load your data directly into production tables, or are you loading it into a staging table for processing (the most robust strategy)?
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com

Well, i was not using any staging table before but now as SSIS does nto allow any alteration in transition, I think I have to use a staging table.

Kunal

Provided Answers: 1
    SSIS does allow transformations of the data, but it is not a good practice to put this logic in the package.
    Use your ETL tools strictly for E and L (Extract and load) and leave the T (Transform) to sprocs and other more maintainable code.
    This holds true for SSIS, DTS, and any other 3rd party ETL tools you may come across.
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com

Thank you very much. I will consider your advice adn I think that will help me deal with my problems better.

Kunal