Unanswered: C# query question

Hi, sorry if this is the wrong place. I am wondering if it is possible to do this:

Code:
    string query = "SELECT AVG(loc_pop) AS \'averagepop\' FROM POPULATION WHERE loc_pop != @blank";

OleDbCommand command = new OleDbCommand();
    command.Connection = connection;
    command.CommandText = query;

command.Parameters.Add("@blank", OleDbType.Char).Value = "blank";

textBox.AppendText("\r\n"+command.ExecuteScalar());
    This throws an error.

loc_pop is a char (actually, it is a Microsoft Access 'Text' type, which I believe is actually a char, perhaps I am wrong). It holds numeric values except where it has a string value. That string value is always "blank". It will never be anything else.

I would like to take the average of loc_pop for every numeric value, but not count its char values. I thought if the char values are "blank", I could tell it to average every field except where loc_pop = "blank".

I know this is ugly database design: the string data and numerical data should be separated into two columns. But let's say I want to do it this way. Perhaps I'm dealing with an already-created database and need to make due.

Is it possible?

Provided Answers: 1
    It would help if you divulged the specific error.
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

Question: If you know your searching for everything that is not equal to "blank" then why not just put that it the query and skip the process of creating a variable that may be in conflict with Access data types?

string query = "SELECT AVG(loc_pop) AS \'averagepop\' FROM POPULATION WHERE loc_pop != @blank";

OleDbCommand command = new OleDbCommand();
    command.Connection = connection;
    command.CommandText = query;

command.Parameters.Add("@blank", OleDbType.Char).Value = "blank";

textBox.AppendText("\r\n"+command.ExecuteScalar()) ;
    Try:
    string query = "SELECT AVG(loc_pop) AS \'averagepop\' FROM POPULATION WHERE loc_pop != 'blank' ";

You may also want to try "IS [NOT]", "[NOT] LIKE", or [NOT] IN.
    != may be in conflict with the chars because the rest of the values in that field are numeric.
    But I'm just guessing at that.
    Hope this helps. Good Luck.