Unanswered: SQL Server 2005 Performance and Connection Question

Hi all:

My Question is kind of odd.

Background:
    C#, SQL, Web Developer for 5 years.

History:
    I have a script that is works well. It creates some temp tables and updates a db table after it gets done... It completes it's work in about 2 seconds for doing 3 big joins and a cursor for about 3500 rows. And I have worked on it through the help with the actual execution plan and I feel like it is as fast as I can make it.

Challenge:
    I am having to run the above mentioned script for about 22 million times over several(10-20) different connections via management studio.

Question:
    1. Will SQL Server 2005 handle it on a Windows XP Pro machine? Or will it simply laugh at me?
    2. What is a good way to estimate how much time it will need for it to finish? if I have 2 script running together, and each runs for 2 seconds, will it take 4 seconds to finish?

thank you for reading. Sorry I can't post any code.

Quote Originally Posted by dbEdoh
    Hi all:

My Question is kind of odd.

Background:
    C#, SQL, Web Developer for 5 years.

History:
    I have a script that is works well. It creates some temp tables and updates a db table after it gets done... It completes it's work in about 2 seconds for doing 3 big joins and a cursor for about 3500 rows. And I have worked on it through the help with the actual execution plan and I feel like it is as fast as I can make it.

Challenge:
    I am having to run the above mentioned script for about 22 million times over several(10-20) different connections via management studio.

Which equates to a little over 12,000 hours of processing based on your volume and estimated execution time. Someone is going to be waiting for a long time for that resultset - IMO

Question:
    1. Will SQL Server 2005 handle it on a Windows XP Pro machine? Or will it simply laugh at me?
    2. What is a good way to estimate how much time it will need for it to finish? if I have 2 script running together, and each runs for 2 seconds, will it take 4 seconds to finish?

See my previous comment. BTW - I'm the one laughing

thank you for reading. Sorry I can't post any code.
    Without the 3 big joins, the cursor (which probably isn't needed) and some DDL and possibly some sample data, I don't know how much anyone can help. As far as code, we don't need C# code but the SQL would be most helpful. Obviously, running the script twice could have a performance impact that MAY increase the time or may lead to blocking/deadlocking, depending on your code. As far as question one, are you talking about XP being the client machine? If so, you should be fine. If installing the server on XP, there are some known issues (service packs for one) to work through but it can be done, Google it.

Preparing to Install SQL Server 2005
    Last edited by tosscrosby; 06-25-09 at 11:12.