Unanswered: Need zero-downtime data migration tool

Hi All,

I am looking for a Zero-downtime data migration tool that will fulfill my below requirements:

- Migration of data from one version of the application to another version with or without changes to the database schema.

- Migration of data from staging to production where staging was used for beta testing to host customers who created live data which need to be migrated to production. (SQL Server 2005 to SQL Server 2005, SQL Server 2005 to MySQL)

- if a data type changes (say int to varchar) in staging database for a particular column in a table, the change migration should happen in the production database as well

- if a column is added\deleted in a table of staging database, the same table alteration should migrate to production database

- records in production database should not be deleted\truncated during data\schema migration

- demonstrate zero-downtime

Please respond with your valuable suggestions.

- tarak

if it's anything like the staged migration that I had to go through last year with migrating 6000 accounts for a web portal over a month, it sounds like you've got lots of custom code and scripts to start writing. I spent almost 2 months writing perfecting our migration plan/scripts.

I know of no tool that does this automagically. Especially if the application DB is of the customized variety. If it's some out of the box 3rd party app, check with the vendor to see if they have a tool.

SQL Replication, DoubleTake ? or some other replication tool ?