Unanswered: Problem in opening .mkd files

We are trying to migrate our database from pervasive 9.6.1 to SQL Server 2008.
    I dont have any idea about pervasive.SQL.

While I scan through the folder it had few folders, each having some .dat files and inside a subfolder called pvdata , few .mkd files and 1 .dct file.It does not contain any .ddf file

We are tyring to create a tool which would dynamically read the .mkd files and put the data into sql server but how can I read the mkd files without .ddf files

What does .dat and .dct file actually contain?

Thanks in advance

Provided Answers: 4
    We are trying to migrate our database from pervasive 9.6.1 to SQL Server 2008.
    I dont have any idea about pervasive.SQL.
    Does your application support SQL Server? You can't just change the database underneath an application unless it supports the database.

While I scan through the folder it had few folders, each having some .dat files and inside a subfolder called pvdata , few .mkd files and 1 .dct file.It does not contain any .ddf file
    DDF files are used to describe the data files for access methods like ODBC, OLEDB, ADO.NET, PDAC, and ActiveX.

[/quote]We are tyring to create a tool which would dynamically read the .mkd files and put the data into sql server but how can I read the mkd files without .ddf files[/quote]
    Only the Btrieve interface can read PSQL tables without the DDFs. You either need to get DDFs from the vendor of the application or create them your self.

What does .dat and .dct file actually contain?
    It depends. I've not heard of a .DCT file. .DAT files could be Btrieve files and they hold the actual data.
    Mirtheil Software
    Certified Pervasive Developer
    Certified Pervasive Technician
    Custom Btrieve/VB development
    http://www.mirtheil.com
    I do not answer questions by email. Please post on the forum.

Problem in opening .mkd files

Thanks for your reply.They had written the application using Dot net so we may want to do some minor changes to make it support SQL.

AS you mentioned , How can I create the .ddf files?Is there any freeware available to do this?

Currently the client has provided 3 types of files(.mkd,.dct and .dat), which file would actually contain the table structure/schema.

Provided Answers: 4
    Creating DDFs requires knowledge of the record structure. None of the file types you mentioned would hold the record structure. You would either need to go to the source code of the application or the vendor to get the record structure for each table.
    You can use CREATE TABLE SQL statements or you can use various DDF Builder tools. I'm not aware of a free tool other than what's included with PSQL
    Mirtheil Software
    Certified Pervasive Developer
    Certified Pervasive Technician
    Custom Btrieve/VB development
    http://www.mirtheil.com
    I do not answer questions by email. Please post on the forum.

If you need to create the DDF files you can take a look at BtSearch at Nelson Software Solutions DDF and Data Editor for Pervasive Btrieve. It is not free but it will help you analyze the structure and build the DDF files.
    Gil