Unanswered: DB2 8.2 to 9.5 Inplace upgrade

Env: DB2 V8.2 to 9.5 on AIX 5.3

1. What is the procedure to perform inplace db2 instance upgrade from v8.2 to v9.5. (Exising db runs on DB2 V8.2 has to move it to DB2 9.5)
    2. Incase if there is a problem after migrating to DB2 9.5. How can I restore it back to DB2 V8.2 instance? Is creating an DB2 8.2 instance and restoring db the only option ?

Please share your thoughts or links in Info.Center as I couldn't find it there

1. The steps are explained in the upgrade instructions for the fixpack readme (you can go straight to FP4 when you upgrade). There is an upgrade verification program that can be run against the database to make sure it will work (there are some issues with certain databases that it checks).

2. If you update the instance in place, you cannot go back and would have to create a new 8.2 instance to restore as 8.2.
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390

Thanks, I followed the steps and performed the inplace migration.

Database works perfectly on server side but I'm unable to establish connectivity from remote clients. I checked SVCENAME, TCPIP, ping, tracetroute between clinet/server everything looks fine.

However on the server side db2licm -l shows product as below
    Product name: "DB2 Connect Server"
    License type: "License not registered"
    Expiry date: "License not registered"
    Product identifier: "db2consv"
    Version information: "9.5"

and TCPIP port 60000 is not running
    netstat -an | grep 60000

Is this something related to DB2 Connect Server ? Can we connect to DB2 Connect Server remotely in 9.5 ? db2 get dbm cfg shows Node type as Database Server with local and remote clients

Let me know your thoughts. Thanks

Check if db2comm is set on the server. If not, issue "db2set db2comm=tcpip" followed by db2stop/db2start. db2comm can get unset during migration.

After an upgrade you also need to reinstall your DB2 licenses.

DB2 Connect is only required to connect from the database server to a z/OS or i/Series DB2 Database. Previous to 9.5, ESE came with a 5-user license for DB2 Connect, but with 9.5 it only comes with a free trial version that expires.

Did you follow all the post-fixpack instructions about binding packages? Make sure perform all the required steps outlined in the Fixpack readme files.
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390

Sorry for the late reply..just back from vacation.

db2set db2comm=tcpip followed by db2stop/db2start resolved the problem.

However I need to migrate again from DB2 9.5 Connect Server to DB2 9.5 ESE. Will it work if I just install ESE code on top of Connect Server ? Any thoughts.