Unanswered: Have set user-level security - now database won't open!

And I don't know why. When I try to open it it says '.. do not have the necessary permissions to do so'.

I added security simply because I wanted to identify users on a form.

I have the unsecured backup copy of course, so rather than try to 'fix' the first one I could just continue with that, but as I don't know what went wrong I might just do the same thing again. I followed the wizard, and at the same time read the step-by-step here Permissions for the Users Group

Provided Answers: 59
    securing your app can be fraught with problems. the number of times I've attached workgroup security, thinking that I've tied everything down to find either I hadn't or had locked myself out of my own app's.

I think you would be smarter to follow the Microsoft Security FAQ

from what you have said elsewhere for what you want you will find the API calls a far smarter approach.. trust me......
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Yes, I will investigate the API, as in previous posts. Can you tell me how to permanently convert the .bak into .mdb? Thank you healdem.

Provided Answers: 59
    havneet got a scooby, never conciously used a .bak file. however this reference suggests you can just rename the .bak to .mdb and away you go. wonderful thing google

Personally I've always just copied the mdb(s) to an archive area whilst under development then I know the db's are being backed up as part of the normal overnight incremental backups, but then again I'm a cyncial jaded developer who doens't trust anyone or anybody
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton