Unanswered: VBA filter based on other query?

HI. I've got a form based on a very complicated stored procedure which I don't want to change. The primary field is ID.

I want to filter this recordset based on another query. THe other query is just a list of all the IDs that match my criteria. So I want my form to only show the rows who's ID appears in the query. Currently I have

Code:
     Me.Filter = "WHERE EXISTS (SELECT * FROM MyQuery WHERE ID=StoredProcedure.ID)"
    The error I'm getting is "Syntax error in Query expression". What's wrong with teh above filter?

What happens if you try removing the "WHERE"?

Ax

Provided Answers: 59
    the filter is the where expression minus the where word itself.
    Im not sure you can use the style of expression you want in th eway you want as part of a filter.
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Provided Answers: 1
    Is this an MSSQL stored procedure? If so, you can't use the sproc as the source of a select statement...
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

The stored procedure is from an sql express server. Removing "wheer" didn't work.

I'm using select for a query, not on the stored procedure. I've currently got one filter for example which shows just values from today, and the filter simply is "StoredProcedure.Date=Date()" and that works fine (becuase it filters after it received all teh data.

All i want is to say "StoredProcedure.ID=(any ID present in the select statement)."

Can anyone think of another way to do this? I don't want to make a seperate stored procedure just for this filter ebcause then I would have to reload the previous stored procedure and change the recordset.

Provided Answers: 1
    I think you're misunderstanding what I meant...

Stored procedures can not be present ANYWHERE in a SELECT statement. You can use a User Defined Function if you need to be able to return a dataset in that fashion, or you can spool up a table var/temp table and dump the results of a stored procedure to it then select from the variable instead of the sproc.

invalid:
    SELECT * FROM mySproc
    or
    SELECT * FROM anything WHERE mySproc = anything

valid:
    SELECT * FROM someTable INNER JOIN dbo.SomeUserDefinedFunction() f WHERE someTable.someField = f.someField
    or
    INSERT INTO #someTable EXEC mySproc
    SELECT * FROM #someTable
    Last edited by Teddy; 07-06-09 at 16:43.
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

ah, forgot to mention that the stored procedure is through a passthrough query, so from what I understand once the query has executed then I have a snapshot of the data and can filter it just as any other query (but can't change anything).

and the form is based on this passthrough query (didn't realise there is another way to use stored procedures in accesS?).