Unanswered: How to revert back from db2 8.2 fixpack 17a

Hi,

We use db2 8.2 on Windows 2000.

We were on fixpack 13 initially. Last week we applied fixpack 17a. after this we notice the cpu utilisation in the server is comming closer to 100% and our production users complain of slow response.

Our production system uses Windows clustering - our production DB instance ican fail over to the other server using Microsoft clustering.

We would like to go pack to our previous fixpack - i.e fixpack 13. Now what is the procedure to revert back to fixpack 13.

Can we just do a db2cfexp and then remove re-install db2 and then do db2cfimp? is it something on these lines.

Or reverting to previous fixpack is not to be attempted in production env?

Any help will be much appreciated

Harikumar
    Last edited by sundaram; 07-08-09 at 01:23.

Have you kept a offline bkp before applying fixpack ? standard procedure !!!
    Rahul Singh
    Certified DB2 9 DBA / Application Developer

Yeah, just deinstall FP17a, install FP13 again and apply the backup. The major issue will be to define the process to get last weeks data into the backup.

You can also try to reinstall FP13 and have it work with the current database. Typically, there is no migration between fixpaks, so this could work...
    Knut Stolze
    IBM DB2 Analytics Accelerator
    IBM Germany Research & Development

Thanks for the reply. We have daily online backu-ups - but did not take offline backup before applying fixpack.

I cannot see an uninstall option for fixpac 17a. Will I abe able to re-install fixpack 13 over top of existing fixpac 17?

IBM doco
    DB2 Universal Database says we can just uninstall the db2 and then re-install the desired fixpack.

I do not think the fixpack 17a changed structure of the databases. So in my opinion I am thinking (wishfully) reverting back to fixpack 13 will not affect the database structurally.

But being a production system, bit worried. Would like to get some opinions before attempting this.

Harikumar
    Last edited by sundaram; 07-08-09 at 18:37.

I wouldn't simply install FP13 and hope that it still works in a production system - unless you don't like your job. I guess you have the following options:
    - take an offline backup at FP17a and try to restore it in FP13
    - use db2look + db2move to export the database at FP17a and re-import it in FP13
    - try to resolve the issue with IBM support
    - move to DB2 V9 and see if you fare better with it

In the end, I'd say that the installation of FP17a was a bit reckless. Testing may have revealed the issue and an offline backup is always a good idea before applying such a change. If the database is small, the backup will be fast. If the database is bigger, it is typically also more important.
    Knut Stolze

Nothing should happen to your databases when you uninstall/reinstall db2. You'll need to recatalog the databases after reinstalling the software, db2cfexp/db2cfimp can be used for this.

Thanks. Are you sure about this. sorry bit skeptical after stolze comment. I asked IBM about this, but they refuse to answer saying Db2 8 is not in support. (we need to buy extended support).

I don't think you will get a guarantee that it is going to work. For example, if FP17a contains additional functions that you activated in your database and FP13 did not have this yet, you'll still have the catalog entries (if it is a system function or so). Trying to use this in FP13 again will be pretty much undefined, i.e. you may get a simple error or something else could happen.
    Knut Stolze

Try it in your test env if you can. You should be able to go back to an earlier fixpak level by reinstalling/installing the software and then installing the desired fixpak. You upgraded from fp13 (v8.2) to fp17 (v8.2). If this was an upgrade from v8.1 to v8.2, then you would have to demigrate db directory in order to go back (you don't need to perform this step in your case). I usually don't deal with Windows installations but this should be similar to the way it works with Unix/Linux (except with some Unix/Linux, you can just uninstall the fixpak without reinstall)

Another suggestion: I would rather try to move to V9 or V9.5. It has a lot of improvements, which may also resolve your performance problems. Incidentally, you would also run a supported version of the product.
    Knut Stolze

Hi Stolze

You are right - we are now planning to do this way. Only thing is it will take time as we have to migrate, test and all those exciting things

Thanks for the replies from all of you inspite of your busy times with work commitments.

Harikumar