Thread: SQL server

Exclamation Unanswered: SQL server

Hi All,

in my company ,we are using Oracle 10g Database, now we want to migrate from Oracle to SQL server.

can any one tell me is migration possible? any free tools are available for this.

And i kindly request the forum members, pl provide me any useful documents for installing SQL server and creating database and how to use the sql serevr.

any help will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
    Lucky.

Provided Answers: 54
    There's a good article for migrating from Oracle to SQL 2005, but the process is similar for nearly any version of Microsoft SQL Server.

For general purpose setup documentation, check Microsoft's own documentation in SQL Server Books Online. The vendor supplied documentation is quite good, available in many languages, and it IS the ultimate source of information about the product.

We can't do what you seem to want, which is provide you with step-by-step instructions for your specific case. There is too much information that you have but we don't and vice versa to make that efficient. We'll be glad to help with specific questions, but it isn't possible to help with general questions... To get very general help, I think you'd need to hire a local consultant that could come on-site, understand your problems, and help you craft a specific solution for those problems.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Pat, thanks, didn't even know such a document existed.

Provided Answers: 1
    Better than a document, there is a free utility from Microsoft called the SQL Server Migration Assistant which will do about 90% of it for you, and give you work estimates on the rest.
    We have tested it at my office, and I was fairly impressed.
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by blindman
    Better than a document, there is a free utility from Microsoft called the SQL Server Migration Assistant which will do about 90% of it for you, and give you work estimates on the rest.
    We have tested it at my office, and I was fairly impressed.

Which quite frequently referenced IN that document...all 161 pages of it

Amaziing that Pat posted this, as just today, I got 2 Oracle dbs that they want to migrate

One is 70GB and the other is 35GB

Oh joy

Our servers are only set up anywhere between 70 and 90
    Brett
    8-)

It's a Great Day for America everybody!

dbforums Yak CorralRadio 'Rita
    dbForums Member List
    I'm Good Once as I ever was

The physical order of data in a database has no meaning.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Phelan
    There's a good article for migrating from Oracle to SQL 2005, but the process is similar for nearly any version of Microsoft SQL Server.

For general purpose setup documentation, check Microsoft's own documentation in SQL Server Books Online. The vendor supplied documentation is quite good, available in many languages, and it IS the ultimate source of information about the product.

We can't do what you seem to want, which is provide you with step-by-step instructions for your specific case. There is too much information that you have but we don't and vice versa to make that efficient. We'll be glad to help with specific questions, but it isn't possible to help with general questions... To get very general help, I think you'd need to hire a local consultant that could come on-site, understand your problems, and help you craft a specific solution for those problems.

-PatP
    hi,

thank you very much, really very useful info. thanks a lot.
    almost my problem got solved .

good work.

Lucky.